• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help With Fx8150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arcanegrinarc

Last edited:
The FX8150 (or any of the same family) supports up to DDR3 1866, ie. any DDR3 1866 or lower will work.

Reading the overview of the GA-78LMT-S2PT suggests that the memory divider is limited to 6.66 (DDR3 1333), however the manual (page 24) suggests it supports up to 9.33 (DDR3 1866). Regardless DDR3 1333 will work with the FX8150.

Last edited:
The FX8150 (or any of the same family) supports up to DDR3 1866, ie. any DDR3 1866 or lower will work.

Reading the overview of the GA-78LMT-S2PT suggests that the memory divider is limited to 6.66 (DDR3 1333), however the manual (page 24) suggests it supports up to 9.33 (DDR3 1866). Regardless DDR3 1333 will work with the FX8150.

Your welcome, I made an error on the memory divider, fixed now.

Code:
Socket AM3+ - AMD 760G - GA-78LMT-S2PT (rev. 3.1) N/A = Not support

Socket AM3+ 
Motherboard Model GA-78LMT-S2PT 
PCB 3.1 
AMD FX-8100 2800MHz 1MBx8 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200 F1 
AMD FX-6120 3500MHz 1MBx6 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200 F1 
AMD FX-6100 3300MHz 1MBx6 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200 F1 
AMD FX-4150 3900MHz 1MBx4 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200 F1 
AMD FX-4100 3600MHz 1MBx4 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200 F1

According to the Gigabyte website and their supported CPUs list for that motherboard, only 95watt cpus are supported in Pcb revision 3.1. Looking at the motherboard pictures, I can believe that with the un-sinked VRM section and only what appear to be 4 phase VRMs.

Gigabyte website also showed a Rev 4.0 of the Pcb and in checking the supported power of cpus for the Rev 4.0 Pcb is also the same as shown above.

Code:
Socket AM3+ - AMD 760G - GA-78LMT-S2PT (rev. 3.1) N/A = Not support

Socket AM3+ 
Motherboard Model GA-78LMT-S2PT 
PCB 3.1 
AMD FX-8100 2800MHz 1MBx8 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200 F1 
AMD FX-6120 3500MHz 1MBx6 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200 F1 
AMD FX-6100 3300MHz 1MBx6 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200 F1 
AMD FX-4150 3900MHz 1MBx4 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200 F1 
AMD FX-4100 3600MHz 1MBx4 8MB Bulldozer 32nm B2 95W 5200 F1

According to the Gigabyte website and their supported CPUs list for that motherboard, only 95watt cpus are supported in Pcb revision 3.1. Looking at the motherboard pictures, I can believe that with the un-sinked VRM section and only what appear to be 4 phase VRMs.

Gigabyte website also showed a Rev 4.0 of the Pcb and in checking the supported power of cpus for the Rev 4.0 Pcb is also the same as shown above.
Worst case scenario is that the CPU works, but shows "CPU Model unknown". The 8150 and 8120 are similar CPUs and same stepping, so if the 8120 is on the compatibility list, the 8150 will work too.

However, the PWM/VRM might be only 4 phase and also on the weak side like you said...I would personally throw a heatsink on them if I were to try an 8150 with that board.

Worst case scenario is that the CPU works, but shows "CPU Model unknown". The 8150 and 8120 are similar CPUs and same stepping, so if the 8120 is on the compatibility list, the 8150 will work too.

However, the PWM/VRM might be only 4 phase and also on the weak side like you said...I would personally throw a heatsink on them if I were to try an 8150 with that board.

yes a heatsink im buying a cooler master hyper evo 212

Be advised that "Arcanegrinarc", in another thead, has decided to purchase a motherboard to replace the GA-78LMT-S2PT, that is currently in his signature. A motherboard more suited to the use of an FX-8150 processor that he has purchased.

I am sure this one will be back in stock shortly, as it is a best seller.

USe your stock cooling meanwhile.

Just maybe an unknown is a good thought too.

In looking at the Flipkart site I saw this cooler that looks a lot like the Noctua DH-14. I had not really heard of this company and living in the Usa, I can understand that since we do not get to see every type of product made, We see many but the Usa sellers sometimes stick closer to the names they know will be recognized and bought quickly. Nothing wrong with that process.

That said I generally go to FrostyTech cooler since they keep a list of coolers tested in the 'order' that they finished on their own test rig that stays the same time after time. Good 'pointer' to a coolers goodness in my eyes. Most especially when looking thru 20 or 30 cpu coolers.

Living in the East and not wanting to just spend money that I "might" not have to do, I would take a very close look at the Deepcool Frostwin. It is a good bit cheaper.

Deepcool Frostwin Testing: LGA1155, LGA2011, AM3+
The Deepcool Frostwin performs very well on all three platforms. The cooling isn’t quite as good as the top dog, but the Frostwin is lighter and also eliminates the memory clearance issues.

I found the above review and link AT FrostyTech where I always go to look at coolers as I said before. They try and stay on top of what is in the market. I liked how this review site tested and what they actually used to test with and the hefty voltages they fed to the processors while doing the testing.

Take a look you might save some money.

One more thing I need to add that is not often thought about. I feel the Noctua DH-14 really needs the added part that allows the fans to blow at the rear of the case and out thru the 'rear' case fan. That adapter does not come with the Noctua DH-14 but is available, from Noctua for sure.

Edit >> REmoved the statement above since it does not apply to the NH D-14 but the D-12. End Edit.

The Deepcool Frostwin mounts blowing out the rear as you can see on AM3+ mobo from the pictures at this link.
Link >> http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/deepcool-frostwin/4/

At about half the price of Noctua and given the fact that tester site did not say it was totally equal to the big boys with big price tag, I might give the Deepcool FrostWin a try, since I may not ever fully and completely use the little extra the cooler that is twice as costly, anyway. The review site did test using the FX-8150 at high voltage as they did with the two Intel cpus including the new hot Intel Sandy Bridge E.

The choice of course goes to the user themselves. Although I know the goodness of the expensive Noctua DH-14, I still might give the Deepcool Frostwin a try for reduced expense and knowing I just want to use the setup and not run benches everyday. It is a thought.

Last edited:
In looking at the Flipkart site I saw this cooler that looks a lot like the Noctua DH-14. I had not really heard of this company and living in the Usa, I can understand that since we do not get to see every type of product made, We see many but the Usa sellers sometimes stick closer to the names they know will be recognized and bought quickly. Nothing wrong with that process.

That said I generally go to FrostyTech cooler since they keep a list of coolers tested in the 'order' that they finished on their own test rig that stays the same time after time. Good 'pointer' to a coolers goodness in my eyes. Most especially when looking thru 20 or 30 cpu coolers.

Living in the East and not wanting to just spend money that I "might" not have to do, I would take a very close look at the Deepcool Frostwin. It is a good bit cheaper.

Deepcool Frostwin Testing: LGA1155, LGA2011, AM3+
The Deepcool Frostwin performs very well on all three platforms. The cooling isn’t quite as good as the top dog, but the Frostwin is lighter and also eliminates the memory clearance issues.

I found the above review and link AT FrostyTech where I always go to look at coolers as I said before. They try and stay on top of what is in the market. I liked how this review site tested and what they actually used to test with and the hefty voltages they fed to the processors while doing the testing.

Take a look you might save some money.

One more thing I need to add that is not often thought about. I feel the Noctua DH-14 really needs the added part that allows the fans to blow at the rear of the case and out thru the 'rear' case fan. That adapter does not come with the Noctua DH-14 but is available, from Noctua for sure.

The Deepcool Frostwin mounts blowing out the rear as you can see on AM3+ mobo from the pictures at this link.
Link >> http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/deepcool-frostwin/4/

At about half the price of Noctua and given the fact that tester site did not say it was totally equal to the big boys with big price tag, I might give the Deepcool FrostWin a try, since I may not ever fully and completely use the little extra the cooler that is twice as costly, anyway. The review site did test using the FX-8150 at high voltage as they did with the two Intel cpus including the new hot Intel Sandy Bridge E.

The choice of course goes to the user themselves. Although I know the goodness of the expensive Noctua DH-14, I still might give the Deepcool Frostwin a try for reduced expense and knowing I just want to use the setup and not run benches everyday. It is a thought.

Hmmm But which is better Noctua DH-14 or Deepcool Frostwin?

Back