• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 hard freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrOwow

Sup?

So yeah i overclocked my gpu a few times found stable settings and kept them up for like +4 weeks. But now i get system freezes like if i overlock the card way too high (will result in the same crash) but i do nothing to cause this. I was browsing the web and then CRASH.

It looks like this.
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4551/dsc00537u.jpg

But then all in grey and not red.

What could be the problem? Dead gpu??
I still have warranty.

Regards,
NiTrOwow

Does it freeze at OC'ed clocks only, or @stock clocks as well.

If only when OC'ed, you should check your GPU temps: if your ambient climbed by a few degrees, that can make your GPU unstable.

Like EarthDog says...Lower your OC!! A lock up w/ a high OC is obviously the issue.

But something else to consider....
Other 7970 owners (myself included) get lockups w/ this card Overclocked or not. From the sparse reading ive done so far, when your PC hibernates or goes to sleep, it wont wake up (I read some jibber jabber about the GPU not playing nice w/ the pc).....now....my PC is NOT set to hibernate and I still get lock ups, so do others. Set your gpu to stock...run it for a few days and see if you still get lock ups. From what I have gleaned so far, its likely a driver issue and not a hardware issue.
Other than the occasional freeze (while in desktop or gaming) this card runs pretty good. But I am seriously considering an Nvidia card next time around.

Like EarthDog says...Lower your OC!! A lock up w/ a high OC is obviously the issue.

Other 7970 owners (myself included) get lockups w/ this card Overclocked or not. From the sparse reading ive done so far, when your PC hibernates or goes to sleep, it wont wake up (I read some jibber jabber about the GPU not playing nice w/ the pc).....now....my PC is NOT set to hibernate and I still get lock ups, so do others. Set your gpu to stock...run it for a few days and see if you still get lock ups. From what I have gleaned so far, its likely a driver issue and not a hardware issue.
Other than the occasional freeze (while in desktop or gaming) this card runs pretty good. But I am seriously considering an Nvidia card next time around.

Nah, the overlock settings in my signature are the old ones that i used. Those are not stable at all.

If you google GSOD (grey screen of death), you will find that a lot of us (yes including myself) are having this problem. The only solution for me was to re-roll drivers back to RC11. It's been a week and so far so good.

If you google GSOD (grey screen of death), you will find that a lot of us (yes including myself) are having this problem. The only solution for me was to re-roll drivers back to RC11. It's been a week and so far so good.

Mate please check the thread again. I have no BSOD.

GSOD (Grey Screen of Death) is different from BSOD.

It's graphic hardware related.

You might like to try 12.8 Drivers, apparently that's been fixed :)

Same for GSOD, so far it seems.

It's called Zero Core Bug. Can be easily fixed using profiles with msi ab :)

Back