• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu cooler for over clocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yup that is the most recommended cooler on these forums because of its awsome price/performance ratio :)

yup that is the most recommended cooler on these forums because of its awsome price/performance ratio :)

Sweet so it will hold a reasonable temperature for the cpu being o.c'd at 4.5?

should cant promise anything depends on the chip and how many volts she wants

Not sure why everyone is so hyped over the CM Hyper 212. Yeah its an OK cooler, but it wont hold alot of voltage. Im sure itll be fine at 4.5ghz as the 2500k doesnt have much issue getting there but temps are something to be desired IMO.

Everyone is scared of voltage but Im more scared of temps. I prefer to keep temps below 70c especially as I get into the higher voltages/speeds.

Id recommend something a bit better if your budget supports it. Thermalright Archon, Noctua D14, Corsair H80 even... Yeah they are a bit more expensive but I personally feel better about lower temps :D

The cooler is excellent upto 4,5Ghz, add to that the low price and you got hyped people.

But indeed, it will have problems keeping temps below 80°C if you clock higher.
Or one would live in a cold environment or has top notch case cooling etc.

So in short, yes, it's a great solution if you want to run at 4,5Ghz. Don't waste money or time on a second fan though, you get all the needed equipement to add 2 fans on it, but it barely makes a difference.

I have my qfan (fan profile in bios) set at max 50°C, the lowest is by default 20°C.
That way my cpu fan will run roughly at 50% when doing simple tasks. Firing up a game will make it go 100% since that will give higher temps anyway. Noise is soft though and at full speed it's still not disturbing.

Thank you all, I'm completely new to overclocking. So every chip has a different voltage? Why should I be worried about the voltages.

Not sure why everyone is so hyped over the CM Hyper 212. Yeah its an OK cooler, but it wont hold alot of voltage. Im sure itll be fine at 4.5ghz as the 2500k doesnt have much issue getting there but temps are something to be desired IMO.

Everyone is scared of voltage but Im more scared of temps. I prefer to keep temps below 70c especially as I get into the higher voltages/speeds.

Id recommend something a bit better if your budget supports it. Thermalright Archon, Noctua D14, Corsair H80 even... Yeah they are a bit more expensive but I personally feel better about lower temps :D

its recommended so much because
its awesome price/performance ratio
in lamens terms its costs 20 bucks and cools within a few degrees of the more expensive ones and better than alot.

Still say the 212 Evo over the 212 Plus. Its only like $10-15 more. I'd say it has a better price/performance ratio. But $20 cpu cooler is tempting.

But $20 cpu cooler is tempting.

I caved and bought one. I mean $20 is awesome, so why not? And I'm absolutely LOVVVING my temp drops I got with it. And its cooling a much hotter running 3570k. Check out my logs
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713162

Load temps dropped this much on Core during load
#1) 23
#2) 21
#3) 23
#4) 25

And this much on idle
#1) 11
#2) 9
#3) 9
#4) 10

4.5Ghz on a 2500k for a 212+ should be no problem whatsoever. There's really no point in spend more money if you just want to get to 4.5Ghz and stay there. However if you do want as much performance as possible, Noctua D14 is the one. But for pure price vs performance, I recommend the 212+ all day and night!

I caved and bought one. I mean $20 is awesome, so why not? And I'm absolutely LOVVVING my temp drops I got with it. And its cooling a much hotter running 3570k. Check out my logs
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713162

4.5Ghz on a 2500k for a 212+ should be no problem whatsoever. There's really no point in spend more money if you just want to get to 4.5Ghz and stay there. However if you do want as much performance as possible, Noctua D14 is the one. But for pure price vs performance, I recommend the 212+ all day and night!

What did you mean by this?

"If you seriously want to couple G Skill series ram with the outragous heatsinks and a 212+, you might want to rethink your decision"

If you plan on using all the slots of RAM on your motherboard, the 212+ Is going to hit your RAM heatsinks. Take a look at the size difference of my RAM and G. Skill X Series RAM.

Mine
75080_l.jpg

G Skill X Series with "outragous heatsinks"
4141_03_g_skill_ripjaws_x_series_pc3_14900_8gb_kit_review_full.jpg

Look at how close the heatsink of the 212+ is to my RAM, which has low profile heatsinks on it
006-2.jpg

That's why you turn the cooler 90 degrees (if applicable).

And yeah, you might say.. well then the fan will hit it. Eh.. maybe, maybe not.

Thats what i like about my Aegir, even with a fan, you could have 2 inch heatsinks on your ram and they wont get in the way :)

Yea, no your right! I wasn't actually planning on having my cooler pointing up, but when I finished installing it I noticed that I did. Turns out it was for the better, as I can get better cooling that way. But most people will have the cooler oriented to push air into the back vs the top. Even then the fan itself could be a problem because the fan that comes with the cooler is a push fan so you are going to have to put it where the RAM is located.

I don't actually know of anybody that has a 212+ in the orientation that I have it in..

If you plan on using all the slots of RAM on your motherboard, the 212+ Is going to hit your RAM heatsinks. Take a look at the size difference of my RAM and G. Skill X Series RAM.
Ah that's what you meant, I'm going to use these ,only 8 gigs two slots would that still be alright would that get in the way? I might get a lower profile ram stick then if its going to bother the 212+.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

Back