• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Palit 460 Sonic Fried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smokedout

Today I was moving my computer from my roommates house to my moms house for my preparation to move out of city. Long story short, I noticed my keyboard wasn't working so I was switching the ports in the back and all of a sudden I see the graphics card light up just a little bit by the PCI-E ports. Now it won't turn on at all and its burnt just ever so slightly on the underside (No burns are evident on the other side). Right now I'm letting my battery sit out to attempt to reset CMOS and see if that does anything (You can see how desperate I am). Am I just bashing my head against a wall or should I just wait to buy a new card? Thanks OC forums.

I wouldn't recommend trying to use any hardware with visible signs of burning. You could ruin more parts, and/or you could burn your home down. At this point you're better off pulling the heat sink off and seeing if anything else failed for your own curiosity. You could also attach some pictures of the burning for a more detailed response from members who sometimes replace components on their cards.

The good news is that used 460's make for cheap replacements.

I was thinking about a Radeon HD 6950 2GB, but I really don't use higher resolutions (I use my TV as a monitor) I don't think I go over 13xx x 72x. Would this be the best bang for the buck? Been comparing it with the Gtx 560 Ti but I want a second opinion. Thanks for your response hicks.

I'm not sure what pricing you're looking at but I see that I can get a 6950 2Gb or a 560TI 448 for the same price(~$205 Canadian). The 6950 is a bit more powerful for most things but drivers for AMD/ATI cards have been less than satisfactory for some people over the last couple of years(screen flickering off randomly, flash player crashes, poor Crossfire support). Not to say for sure you'll have any problems, sometimes Nvidia has the occasional problem as well(GTX580's not clocking up under load) but your chances for smooth running are higher with the 560TI 448.

Just to cover all of the bases the GTX660 is due out very soon and the 1.5Gb is said to be landing around the $250 mark. Going by a recent review of the 2Gb version it'd be an extra $50 well spent over the 6950 and 560TI 448 if the 1.5Gb 660 performs like the 2Gb.

Edit: Also, the 7850 has been going on sale for around $210 Canadian and would be my personal choice over the 6950 and 560TI 448.

That's too much to pay for a 7850 especially with the 660 coming up at the same price.

Or what Knufire said, I'm pretty sure the 6870 is a slight step up from your 460 and it's at a nice low price.

Yeah I researched the 6870, definitely within my price range with enough left over to buy beer. But I have no problem dishing out a few extra bucks to get some more bang, my PC is due for an upgrade pretty much everywhere. Performance wise for 720p, is this the best in the $250 range?

Best price/performance in that range would still be the 7850. There is the 660Ti though. It's not out yet, but tweaktown got one and reviewed it, that'll be the best when it comes out.

Wow, that really does look like the best improvement for the price, I'm just hoping it really will be mid-range priced. Researching around got me 2 different prices, Low 200's to around 300.

EDIT: Also, when does it release? I'm gonna need something in about 10 days or I'm going to lose my mind. haha

Last edited:
EDIT: Also, when does it release? I'm gonna need something in about 10 days or I'm going to lose my mind. haha

Last I saw it was coming August 16th for the 660TI which I think is $300 while the 1.5Gb non-TI is $250(not 100% sure of this, it's just what I read). It's unfortunate that 7850's are not $200 for you yet because at $200-220 they are amazing. You get better performance than the 6950, generally better overclocking than the 6950 and they are very easy on the power bill. But if you've gotta have a card now the 6950 really isn't bad and I see it on Newegg for $199. Not that I have anything against the 6870 but I see they are $170 on Newegg and that's not an enticing price point when the 6950 is $30 more. :D

Back