• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Looking to upgrade my stock cooler on 3570k.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D.Jackson

Registered
I'm pretty much finished with my build hardware wise, so now I'd like to start overclocking my cpu. I've been looking around the forums for a bit but not really seen anything but Hyper 212 info. I want a little more room to OC than that will offer me I think, so is anyone using anything else?

I'm not 100% decided on air yet, since my case isn't the widest. Some of the larger heatsinks will be extremely close I think. Any and all opinions/suggestions welcome.

It's 7 1/2" outside the case. Any idea what my total available room is with standoffs and my board/chip factored in?

That's taken into account for the great coolers. Under 8" it's a crapshoot whats best, unless someone chimes in. You want a better cooler but doesn't have to be top notch due to minor overclocks? That can be done. Tall coolers are 120mm or even 140mm fans due to massive fins. That's why they work so good.

I know Frostytech isn't the best, but comparitively they have some decent reviews of lower profile coolers. Maybe one of them, maybe we'll have an air cooled expert chime in.

Yeah just something to handle a mild or moderate overclock. Nothing too serious, just want to fully understand the process and see the differences between a few levels.

Let me check those out! Thanks.

A 212 will take you more than you 'say' you want. And it won't fit anyway.

Maybe you need to reevaluate.

And I would Never Ever buy Thermaltake watercooling. Please, let's not recommend this to any human.

A statement around for years. 'Friends don't let friends buy ThermalTake'.

That said, TT doesn't even make it, it's the cheapest Asetek setup out there, rebadged. These are PROVEN to be lesser than even the 212 by a pretty big temp margin and has a HIGH return rate.

We have reviews on the front page for the Corsair H50, probably made by the same OEM. Read.

That said, the H80 by Corsair could be your ticket. It will fit as long as you have 120mm case fans probably. Bit better than the 212, and you can have the fans on low probably.

Last edited:
I have looked into some all in one systems. Space isn't so much the issue with them, but price and the possibility of just being overkill. On the other hand I'm not totally sure how far a 212 can take me.

Thought you said you were only doing mild to moderate overclocking?

If you can find one, the Zalman 9300-AT is an option, short heatsink, will fit 1156 (1155) but will only handle low OC's

I think I'm underestimating the 212 and overestimating the 3570's heat output. Perhaps I'm off on what a moderate Oc is too. I was planning 4.5 max.

4.5 is pretty high but not crazy. A decent chip, good ambient temps and good case flow might make that on the stock cooler, mayyybe. Maybeeee not.

You just need better than stock.

4.5 dropped to 4.2 can make a big heat diff, and it's ONLY a .93% speed increase. Heck, 4.0, do the math. Unless your coding DVDs or crunching, it'll make NO diff. The PC will be used for what again? Gaming it can help a bit, but so little for the majority of games. It's all about your GPU size.

4.5 is pretty high but not crazy. A decent chip, good ambient temps and good case flow might make that on the stock cooler, mayyybe. Maybeeee not.

You just need better than stock.

4.5 dropped to 4.2 can make a big heat diff, and it's ONLY a .93% speed increase. Heck, 4.0, do the math. Unless your coding DVDs or crunching, it'll make NO diff. The PC will be used for what again? If anything, get an SSD to make it faster to the normal user.

I tried 4.2 earlier on stock and was getting 85+ temps under load. It was literally my first steps into overclocking though so I'm sure my voltage wasn't optimal. It's just being used for games and as a hobby. I need to make a Sig now that I'm posting I guess. I just got my SSD yesterday (loving it!), but still wanting to venture farther.

The Noctua NH-L12 looks like something that might fit my set up well.

Frostytech has a lot of low profile reviews to browse through. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yea, you use the pre-made OC stuff, it's bad.

Play with your OC, look in the CPU forum, great great guides and folks, buy an H80, your set. Before you know it, you'll be reading the WC stickies like a bible to move up and then your hooked. It gets to be a lot of fun. Then it breaks.

LOL, yeah. That's exactly how I've envisioned it. If I'm on the computer all the time I might as well make the most out of it and pick up a 2nd hobby.

Back