• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.1 Sound system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xK1LLSW1TCHx127

Registered
Hello overclockers :) I have come to you (guys and gals) for guidance today =)
My dad gave me an old sound system (receiver box, 5 speakers and subwoofer) and I want to hook it up to my PC. I don't have a dedicated sound card, but my motherboard does support 5.1 surround sound, problem is that my board only takes 3.5mm jacks and the speakers I have are the two wire clamp kind, so I wanted to know if there was a way to cut up some old earbuds and wire the 3.5mm jack to the speakers so I can use them. If this can be done, would it be loud enough? If not, is there a budget amp you could recommend, or a kit to put one together? Thanks in advance everyone :thup:

Picture: This isn't my exact board but the audio I/O is the same

http://images.tweaktown.com/content...75_pro3_intel_z75_motherboard_review_full.jpg

Not sure about splicing a 3.5mm plug to speakers, never done that. I have my Sony stereo system and a pair of Bose Companion 2 speakers hooked up to my computer using a 3.5mm splitter. Sounds great.

Not sure about splicing a 3.5mm plug to speakers, never done that. I have my Sony stereo system and a pair of Bose Companion 2 speakers hooked up to my computer using a 3.5mm splitter. Sounds great.
Hmm.... I tried a splitter to my sound system and I lost too much of the bass, it was almost inaudible so for the moment I'm using some sony headphones on the same 3.5mm jack and I get great bass (weird?) why would I lose the bass?:shrug:

It seems like you would want to hook the computer to the receiver and use its amp to drive the speakers. Not a lot of power from just the motherboard. What brand/model is the receiver?

It seems like you would want to hook the computer to the receiver and use its amp to drive the speakers. Not a lot of power from just the motherboard. What brand/model is the receiver?
It's an old Panasonic, I tried doing just that and I was getting inaudible bass, I'll try again and see if I can tweak realtek to give me the bass

Back