• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am i THE cheapest bast*rd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr3w

being a very poor student who wanted a cooler case, i put my money saving mind to work and produced this wallet friendly mod:D

basically the side panel is a sheet of card costing a mighty £0.75 (about $1) the duct onto the HSF is a hand crafted box, and the duct aiming the intake fan at my lovely pci cards it constructed from a "pringles" tube,

idle cpu- 21 C, sys- 19 C
load cpu 35C, sys -21c

whole mod, cost less than £5-including fans

case2.jpg

case1.jpg

case3.jpg

well thankyou, Darrenct

just to make it clear, i do intend to get myself a dremel and actually mod my case, but i will need to wait for my next loan cheque.

Damn, I love that mod. We should post more mods like yours. I have cut corners too and have been know to rummage through my junk looking for a cheap alternative to mod my case. Can anyone top this?
Hats off you!:beer:

this is all very encouraging, any ideas how i could craft a cheap water block for my gforce, from an empty yogurt pot, a bit of string, some duct tape and a small blob of blue-tack?
:D

keep the comments coming:)

Dr3w said:
this is all very encouraging, any ideas how i could craft a cheap water block for my gforce, from an empty yogurt pot, a bit of string, some duct tape and a small blob of blue-tack?
Heh, Heh, that's something I'd love to see. Here's a little setup I rigged up a while back when I broke the fan clip off of my socket.
heatsink.jpg

Yah, those are rubber bands holding it on. I almost miss that piece of garbage...

Now you know why I love the ghetto case ideas so much ;) .

Re: I love this thread.......

Puer Aeternus said:
....Cause now I dont feel so bad about my sloppy work.....I am GHetto and I am Proud!!!

I'm like Drew with my modding practices. If I have the money, I do it right. If not, well... See above picture.

I had one of those "Mini Super Orbs"...Pain to get on and off if you dont know what you are doing...I had to look at thermaltake's site for help. I found that fan did not perform like I wanted it too, well not for O/C at least, how is it for you?

i hope your not mocking my hours of hard planning and hard work Darrenct. LOL

to be perfectly honest i was surprised at how well this setup performed, aswell as never getting too hot, it cools down in under a miunte, after some extensive game play or 3d rendering.

i would advise any other poor student types to experiment with thier creativity- you never no it might just work

Okay, where's Silverskink Sam. I think along with the Overclockers "McGuyver" award we need to come up with an Overclockers "Ghetto" award, for the most thrifty, duct-tape laden mods.

Seriously though..welcome Dr3w. I think most of us have used tape and cardboard at one time or another to mod or just play around with different setups.

It's a great, inexpensive way to find out what works before you spend money down the road. Keep up the tweaks! :D

Puer Aeternus said:
II found that fan did not perform like I wanted it too, well not for O/C at least, how is it for you?

I never got to use it under normal circumstances. Those rubber bands did the job, but it was pretty crappy job. It only kept my athlon 1 Ghz at a steaming :mad: 63 deg C. :mad:

I don't have it anymore, I use a real man's Heatsink... The Alpha 8045 w/ delta 80 CFM. Yah, I know, Swifty's better... Until you see how much it costs!

WillysNut said:
Okay, where's Silverskink Sam. I think along with the Overclockers "McGuyver" award we need to come up with an Overclockers "Ghetto" award, for the most thrifty, duct-tape laden mods.

Seriously though..welcome Dr3w. I think most of us have used tape and cardboard at one time or another to mod or just play around with different setups.

It's a great, inexpensive way to find out what works before you spend money down the road. Keep up the tweaks! :D

Haha too funny....

There's nothing wrong with ghetto modding, your an overclocker so you do anything possible to mod everything!

Looks great, and it helps so I wouldn't laugh or complain about it :D

Darrenct said:
Yodums, your new avatar scares me... I'm going to bed in a little while... So I'm going to have nightmares... :D

Your avatar scares me! I'm going to be sitting in class going crazy! haha

Getto Modding cooooooooooool,
Every project I start I use anything that looks like it'll work half of them end up in the trash, so really this approach is an excellent way to fine tune something you want to build right later. So really I'd say your not cheap......you fit right in with the rest of us ........ My last project I posted pics of had close to 100' of duct tape holding the thing together and was made from two 5 gallon water bottles. Ghetto on man I love it.
Stay Cool
Pepsi

Back