• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentle Typhoons AP-15 VS Low speed Yate loons on a RS360 Rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justin Cider

Registered
I am wondering if Gentle Typhoons AP-15 the 1850 rpm models would give me a significant difference in temps then the low speed Yate loons I have running on my XSPC RS360.I have read a fair amount about the rad and it seems that the GT's will be better.But I don't feel like spending money to get a tiny improvement.Any opinions would be appreciated

if you are just cooling your CPU, then the difference will be small. but not even be observable. Generally, the reason to use AP-15, is more about it being quiet.

your 2500k chip doesn't get as hot as some SB-e chips, as such, if you want to improve your temps, you might be better off taking a look at getting better thermal material for the heatsink, or placing the chassis in area where it can draft in 'cooler' air.

Justin, no idea what's in your loop, so I can't help. You can update your sig to include a detailed waterloop if you wish.

Your low speed Yates are very weak on a higher FPI rad like that to start. And depending on the case airflow (other fans etc) it's impossible to know.

Mora info for a intelligent answer please.

Sorry,thought I updated it already.I have a 2500k at 4.4 Ghz with Swiftech Apogee XT and SLI GTX 580's with XSPC blocks. I run a XSPC RS360 and a Swiftech MQP-120 with a MCP-355.
My temps aren't horrible 58-60C full load but I want to see if I can get them closer to the 50-55C mark if possible.I would like to avoid adding a larger rad if at all possible. I figured some better fans might do the trick but looking for direction

You are kind of short rad wise...
480 for a GTX580 SLI+CPU is not enough I fear.

Each 580 pull 240w@stock and your CPU around 70W.

Best would be to get one more 240 rad.

given you are not OC-ing your CPU or GPU too much, your radiator size is just about right, as such, they can probably improve a little if you get slightly better fans. Ideally in your case you should have 'push/pull' config, so you can draft more air into the system.

with that many components, you can probably see a 1-3'C difference on depending on the parameters, probably worth getting more fans.

Under load I think your probably over 10C Dt. Maybe closer to 15C. If you get a 20% Dt decrease with better fans, that can be almost a 4C decrease in temps.

So yea, better fans can help, don't know it will be a 20% decrease though.

I'm running high speed Yate Loons on my RS360 and I love them. Keep my 1090T overclocked down in the 17-20C range. You're only using low speeds, if you're on a budget then I'd reccommend bumping up to mediums, or highs on a fan controller. If you're not on a budget, then go for AP-15's.

Like everyone else is saying, you're pretty short on radiators. Not only are you on one 360, but the RS series is pretty slim with fairly low fin density at the same time. I'd add another wherever you have room. Even if it's an RS240, it would help.

Back