• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you guys do with your old heatsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robollama

Registered
Is there any use for them at all? I'd like to think I could find a valid use for them besides looking neat on my desk :comp:

If they can still be used and you'll bever use them, give them to a school with a good electronics/PC program.

They look neat attached to the ceiling hanging down too.

I keep a few around as spares for when I have to test out systems, boards, CPU's, etc. So that way I don't have to tear down one of my main systems to get a heatsink just to test something real quick.

I've actually found it handy to keep a couple of stock heatsinks on hand, because they're usually quicker and easier to mount just for testing something out than most aftermarket heatsinks.

Or you could try selling them, there are still people out there with uses for older heatsinks if they don't have one on hand and need one for a system.

If they are solid Copper? I toss them in a bin I have and eventually I will likely sell the bin contents for scrap.

Otherwise. Some bounce around for years filling different duties (I had a couple PentiumII/III Slot Heatsinks that were used as standoffs, wedges, and a few other things. Some I keep for grins and chuckles, and the rest go into the recycle bin.

i keep a drawer full of them never know when im gonna need one, keep atelast one good one for a backup incase i have to drop my WC
ive hacked up old ones to fit videocards and hacked them up to use for cooling v-regulators on custom fan controllers and all kinds of stuff :D

Last edited:
Same as ADragonTattoo, save the copper. With Intel HSFs its real easy to extract the copper slug in the middle.

I collect heatsinks for my AMD Athlon XP 3200+, gotta love the jet turbine look or Thermalright copper, among several others. Big Typhoon, lol!
Someone will usually buy the better aftermarket old heatsinks for more than scrap prices.
Some are works of art.
Others are indeed scrap. OTOH ocassionally one comes in handy when asked to "rescue" an old computer.

mantle piece

she'll never notice this!

Attachments

• 100_7535cr.jpg
    100_7535cr.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 758
Looks a lot better than the rock.

I'll have you know the so-called "rock" in the foreground is a large chunk of obsidian I found when I was a boy in southern California. They were all over the place - some smaller, some larger. As volcanic glass, some edges were as sharp as razor blades (but usually rounded off smooth by eons of being rubbed by other rocks). This is the only piece I have left. But I guess it would depend on whether you viewed technology as more beautiful than nature. :shock:

Back