• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good cooling flow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Media

I got a new built computer on the way. Important part I guess would be the motherboard, Sabertooth Z77. I'm sure it can handle 6-fans. So here is case with my ideal air flow to get heat out. It has two 120mm fan options in the front, two on the bottom but one covered by the PSU. Than 3 in the corner, back and two on top. And last is an opening on the side door. Pretty much 120mm fans all the way around If I can

COOLINGPLAN.jpg

Front 2X - 120mm Fans
Bottom - 120mm Fan (Higher RPM if I can)
Side - 80mm Fan (smaller so it doesn't interfere with the upward flow)
Back - 120mm Fan (Higher RPM if I can)
Top - 2X - 120mm Fans

that looks like a good setup, I would get a fan controller. that's just me tho.

what fans are you going to use ?
if your using high power fans like deltas, the mobo's fan headers might not be a good idea

Eh I saw Delta made a 4800rpm one but after watching a YT vid, its so loud and it might not last too long. I guess 2500rpm would be my minimum on all.

I def am going to go with a fan controller if I get high speed fans. I would like to set them higher when I am rendering and doing work.

My past crappy Dell XPS 435mt did ok, and with DELLs cases, its nothing but confusion and poor cooling. This is a much bigger, open case with 80X better cooling. I'm gonna try for it with decent 120mm fans. I also have to get the dust filters as well. How reliable are Delta's? I found one that hits 4800rpm but can't imagine it last that lone

My past crappy Dell XPS 435mt did ok, and with DELLs cases, its nothing but confusion and poor cooling. This is a much bigger, open case with 80X better cooling. I'm gonna try for it with decent 120mm fans. I also have to get the dust filters as well. How reliable are Delta's? I found one that hits 4800rpm but can't imagine it last that lone

best fans out there, I have many over 8yaers old and still kicking
you will need a fan grill, so long as you want to keep your fingers lol

edit
they get loud and draw alot of power too
mine pull about 5w a piece, some pull upto 30w
I have a 4krpm+ ffb for about 3 years know and it still good. ran at full seep for about 1 year straight

Last edited:
That diagram might be bad. I think the side door fan needs to suck the air out because the large video card would block it from going up to the exhaust fans at the top and rear. So that side fan will suck the hot air from the video card I think

Honestly, if you have 4 fans (2 front intake, 1 rear and 1 top exhaust) the side fan is just going to disrupt the airflow. Is your graphics card a reference model? If so, it's going to exhaust its hot air out the back of the case anyways.

Honestly, if you have 4 fans (2 front intake, 1 rear and 1 top exhaust) the side fan is just going to disrupt the airflow. Is your graphics card a reference model? If so, it's going to exhaust its hot air out the back of the case anyways.

What if instead of the side sucking air into the case, it sucks it out of the case. A small fan vs the 120mm on the front and upper/rear

I think all you'll need is the 2 front intakes and the 2 rear/top exhausts. If you want to add more fans, you can, but I don't think they'll improve your temperatures by a noticeable amount.

I agree with dealmaster. 2 intakes; 1 or two exhausts. Frankly I'd stick with 2 intakes and a single rear exhaust. Leave the top empty. Your machine doesn't really need the full power of so many fans... Though going off your CPU cooler (Frio) and your consideration for louder fans; I assume you don't care about noise.. (something I care a LOT about..) So... Up to you.

General rule; keep more intakes than exhausts for a more positive pressure airflow setup. I'd flip the PSU around and let it intake/exhaust without affecting the system airflow.

If you're filling it with fans for the sake of it.. Then go for it. But realistically you're looking at 1-3 degrees difference between 3 fans and 5-6 lol.

I agree with dealmaster. 2 intakes; 1 or two exhausts. Frankly I'd stick with 2 intakes and a single rear exhaust. Leave the top empty. Your machine doesn't really need the full power of so many fans... Though going off your CPU cooler (Frio) and your consideration for louder fans; I assume you don't care about noise.. (something I care a LOT about..) So... Up to you.

General rule; keep more intakes than exhausts for a more positive pressure airflow setup. I'd flip the PSU around and let it intake/exhaust without affecting the system airflow.

If you're filling it with fans for the sake of it.. Then go for it. But realistically you're looking at 1-3 degrees difference between 3 fans and 5-6 lol.

Well I changed my mind on the FRIO and am going with Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling. So the top two fan slots will be taken with the H100, so I guess one more fan will be at the top-rear

Have you double checked the H100 even fits in the NZXT 210? And why are you putting such an expensive build in such a cheap case... Blows my mind :\.

Just from looking at the case and its spacing; you're going to have issues with the H100 and the RAM hitting. Or even the heatsinks on the motherboard. Unless the fan mounts are positioned far enough over... But I can tell you now in terms of pure drop-down length; you'll have issues.

EDIT
"The Dirty Truth!
The NZXT 210 Elite wont support a push or pull without mounting the fans outside the case!
On top of that, only 1 fan units holes line up, 2 more holes will line up but you need to screw it through the cases gratings. To put even more salt in the wound, the screws that come with it arent long enough to caught the rad. So you need to go to the hardware store and buy longer ones.."

http://www.overclock.net/t/1220330/mod-nzxt-source-210-elite-w-h100-in-push-pull

You can fit the H80. On the back. Or Antec 920. But you'd lose the ability to use one of the top fans. But it'd work better than the H100. H100 will not fit.

Have you double checked the H100 even fits in the NZXT 210? And why are you putting such an expensive build in such a cheap case... Blows my mind :\.

Just from looking at the case and its spacing; you're going to have issues with the H100 and the RAM hitting. Or even the heatsinks on the motherboard. Unless the fan mounts are positioned far enough over... But I can tell you now in terms of pure drop-down length; you'll have issues.

EDIT
"The Dirty Truth!
The NZXT 210 Elite wont support a push or pull without mounting the fans outside the case!
On top of that, only 1 fan units holes line up, 2 more holes will line up but you need to screw it through the cases gratings. To put even more salt in the wound, the screws that come with it arent long enough to caught the rad. So you need to go to the hardware store and buy longer ones.."

http://www.overclock.net/t/1220330/mod-nzxt-source-210-elite-w-h100-in-push-pull

You can fit the H80. On the back. Or Antec 920. But you'd lose the ability to use one of the top fans. But it'd work better than the H100. H100 will not fit.

Alright, thanks for the heads up. I understand its a low cost case but I LOVE the way it looks. It is small though, so the next case in the line up is Thermaltake V3 Black Edition

That's a pretty budget case as well. You were considering some of the most expensive motherboards in your other thread...why not dedicate some to a quality case? Lian-Li/Bitfenix/Fractal Design cases look very similar to the Source 210. You can find lots of good quality cases at the $100 mark.

Back