• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New drives causing wake lag?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weatherlite

I'll try to make this short and sweet. I just bought three new drives (which one was DOA so we can ignore that one...so TWO new drives. lol) a WD Green 2.5TB and WD Green 3TB, both 5400 RPM. Prior to installing them I had the following:
OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD
WD Black 1TB
2 x WD Green 2TB (7200RPM)

When I boot there is no difference from before and after. When I wake from a sleep it used to take a whopping 12 seconds to be fully ready. With the new drives it takes about 20-25 seconds to wake up. Is there a reason for this other than the slower drive speed? And is there a way to improve that wake speed?

I believe something was wrong before you installed those Hard drive it should not take 12seconds from a sleep to wake up mine takes a second or two. Something else is wrong not the Hard drives.

Edit. Do you mean sleep or hibernate

Those numbers sound about right. You went from two high performance drives to a "green" series. The disks likely take longer to spin up.

Well I mis-spoke a bit. I disconnected the new 5400 Greens and it took about 5 seconds for the screen to pop up and less than 1 for it to be ready after I entered the password. With the 5400RPM Greens installed it was 9-10 seconds for the screen to pop up and the same sub-1 second for the computer to be ready after password. Not bad all things considered, but it just seems to me that since the OS is on a SSD it wouldn't matter if the drives have to spin up before waking or not. Doesn't really matter though, I was just curious if that was the culprit.

Thanks!

It spins up all the hard drives because the motherboard has no idea what drives need to be used.

Back