• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

JVC Taiyo Yuden Silver 16X 4.7GB DVD-R 100 Pack $21.99 + $7.52 Shipping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member

• Taiyo Yuden 16X: http://www.meritline.com/jvc-valueline-dvd-r-16x-silver-thermal-lacquer---p-42242.aspx

• Taiyo Yuden 8X: http://www.meritline.com/showproduc...e-dvd-r-8x-silver-thermal-lacquer-jdmr-val-sk

Both are now the same price $21.99 + $7.52 shipping or $52.99 for a 200 Pack with free shipping on 200 pack only.

So $29.51 for a 16X 100 Pack of Taiyo Yudens. [3.5% Cash Back @ Fat Wallet by the way]. So now we are paying 25% more for Taiyo Yudens than the best deal two years ago: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646335 :( :shrug:

Fwiw, I buy cheap *** media and never have issues. I've even recently gone back to 5-10 year old media and had no problems pulling data from them. I think a lot of the 'quality' arguments in blank media circles is hype. Just run a verify after the burn, if it passes then it's fine. The only advantage is at top burn rates. I've never bothered burning above 8x, for compatibility reasons on stand alone players.

Disc Speed freeware is used to do a Disc Quality scan. Note that if none of the CD-DVD Drives connected to the computer support the Disc Quality scan feature, then Disc Quality TAB will not show up at all. It only shows up after the CD-DVD Drive which supports it is detected and then selected, regardless of which version of Disc Speed you have:

Disc Quality TAB.jpg

A few weeks ago I had footage played off a disc in a stand alone DVD player start to skip, freeze. I ran a Disc Quality scan and the number of disc errors were huge. I made another disc and scanned it and the errors were significantly smaller and consequently the disc played fine.

These were dual layer Verbatim discs. Verbatim replaced the faulty discs under warranty. By contrast, in the past 10 years, I had not a single Taiyo Yuden disc show problems and never tested a Taiyo Yuden disc to have enough errors to cause problems. Many thousands of scans made by others confirm this, and this is why we buy Made in Japan Taiyo Yuden and not Made in Taiwan coasters.

In other words, this is not a "I like yellow, you like blue" situation:

1. This is about learning what PI error/failure rates mean.
2. Scanning the disc for them.
3. Establishing reliability using a DVD drive which supports Disc Speed freeware and has good scanning features to provide reliable test results.

Attachments

• Disc Speed 7.0.2.100.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Supply/demand. Demand must be high.
There is only one factory in Japan which makes Taiyo Yudens. JVC bought it, maybe that is a partial reason for the price hike.

As far as wasting time, like I said, I had a bad batch of Verbatims. How do I know? I ran a Disc Quality scan. When I did a search for "bad batch of Verbatims" I discovered that others had bad batches of Verbatims too.
:shrug: Stating that PI error/failure rates due to disc quality are as likely to happen with Taiyo Yudens vs. discs made in Taiwan is simply not true. Entire forums dedicated to testing different grades of media offer details on this topic. I am more general, and share a general opinion about Taiyo Yudens being "better" than media made in Taiwan.

I am more general, and share a general opinion about Taiyo Yudens being "better" than media made in Taiwan.

Yeah, I hear you. For the marginal price increase over something cheaper one could justify buying a better disc. Perhaps for archiving purposes where what's being burned had importance/monetary value. But I also think there's a lot of manufacturer driven hype with this kind of product, where a lower fail rate justifies a sizeable bump in price /disc.

How you keep the discs after being burned plays a much larger role than the disc itself in situations involving long term storage. As I said, as long as the data can be verified as written properly, most discs will retain that data for a very long time if kept in 'disc friendly' conditions. All manufacturers have bad batches, and usually those discs fail verification. I had a dual layer disc fail verification recently. That was the first in 30 from a 50 pack of bargain basement discs (might even be Verbatim). Of my other media (DVD+R, CDR, and blurays) I haven't had a coaster in probably a year. I verify everything too.

So I just want to throw it out there that buying cheap media doesn't guarantee failure any more than buying expensive media guarantees success.

Right, but most of us do not pay $80 bucks a year for shoprunner so the deal is for $30.09 vs $29.51 for Taiyo Yudens.

With Verbatim being hit or miss and Taiyo Yuden being made in only one factory in Japan - you have to guess if Verbatims are from India or Singapore or Taiwan or elsewhere.

You end up with a free year if you use it three times during your trial. Doesn't apply to you so don't buy them.

I have no preference, just posting an option for someone who might use em.

I did not know about that promotion, so you order from three places within 30 days and you get the following 11 months for free? I guess if i can remember to cancel before the year is up, I may consider this for other purchases. Thanks.

Yeah my 30 days were almost up (used it twice) so I tried to cancel. When I was confirming they offered me 3 more months free and mentioned they extend it to one year if three purchases are made in the 3 month period. Not sure if dominoes delivery counts though. Ordered tons of stuff from newegg in between. All in all a ligit program if you have a year long memory lol.

so maybe I am relying on the pictures too much but it seems like the 8X discs have the silver coating and the 16's do not, even though the title indicates that they do. Are they the same?

Both should be plain silver and look exactly the same.

Arrived this morning. Same old silver DVD-R16X TYG03

Back