• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im having a problem overclocking a 2700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stunnedjack

So I Currently have a I7 2700k on a ASUS P8z77-v LE plus Mobo.

I followed this TUT
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693613

I Have done this 2 times the first everything went good for a 3 hour prime test but then after my first core was staying at 100% even after a reset, So i went back to stock bios.

2nd time went good read more about my board and everything tried it again then after about an hour my comp blue screened and so I lowered the voltage and it then did it again.

So the problem im having is in the TUT he sais to disable certain things but for the life of me I cant find them.

here are some pics during prime test today before it crashed.

2012-08-08_1526.png

I noticed my temps where hot in this test.
2012-08-08_1527.png

What model of RAM do you have, and what are the current DRAM frequency and timings set to at 4.5GHz? Not all, but on average a 2700K requires ~1.35-1.40V Vcc for a 4.5GHz clock. And what settings can't you find in your BIOS that are mentioned in the link you posted?

There are few settings in the guide mentioned, so can't imagine which one you don't find?
Anyway, set the AI overclock tuner at manual, set your ram speed at the advertized speeds, like 1600 or 1333 etc.
Then fill in your ram timings in DRAM timing control, now you only need to set the voltages for cpu and ram.
You can also go to the next tab which will be called Advanced, there you want to see the cpu settings so select that. You can leave the cpu multi at auto but I set it at 45x. This overrides the previous tab in your bios so you can't set multi there now.
Both ways are the same though, so you might as well leave that on auto and set your multiplier in the ai tweaker tab.

In order to have a succesfull overclock your ram needs to be stable. I have 1.65v ram, and appeared to run fine. Yet sometimes my prime95 tests crashed after an hour or so.
When I undervolted my ram all became stable.
Also check the DRAM Command Mode in your DRAM Timing Control. When on auto it could be it's set at 1T, try 2T.

That's about it, all that's left is testing for the lowest vcore needed for your 45x multi. No one can help you with that since many cpu's differ slightly when you want to find the edge.

ps. When messing around with asus biosses, one could set something wrong without knowing it, if all fails just do optimized settings in bios, then set the correct values for your sound device and drives, qfan profiles.
Now you can start again with the ram and cpu settings.

There are few settings in the guide mentioned, so can't imagine which one you don't find?
Anyway, set the AI overclock tuner at manual, set your ram speed at the advertized speeds, like 1600 or 1333 etc.
Then fill in your ram timings in DRAM timing control, now you only need to set the voltages for cpu and ram.
You can also go to the next tab which will be called Advanced, there you want to see the cpu settings so select that. You can leave the cpu multi at auto but I set it at 45x. This overrides the previous tab in your bios so you can't set multi there now.
Both ways are the same though, so you might as well leave that on auto and set your multiplier in the ai tweaker tab.

In order to have a succesfull overclock your ram needs to be stable. I have 1.65v ram, and appeared to run fine. Yet sometimes my prime95 tests crashed after an hour or so.
When I undervolted my ram all became stable.
Also check the DRAM Command Mode in your DRAM Timing Control. When on auto it could be it's set at 1T, try 2T.

That's about it, all that's left is testing for the lowest vcore needed for your 45x multi. No one can help you with that since many cpu's differ slightly when you want to find the edge.

ps. When messing around with asus biosses, one could set something wrong without knowing it, if all fails just do optimized settings in bios, then set the correct values for your sound device and drives, qfan profiles.
Now you can start again with the ram and cpu settings.

Thanks for the tips I currently am doing another go at it with ur advice. I lowered the Vram a tic, I set the Ram at 1.5v I have corsair vengeance, The only bit im not finding are the "5. Go to CPU features turn off C5 C1 and EIST" thats no where to be found. heres some pics of the current OC

2012-08-17_1917.png

2012-08-17_1918.png

2012-08-17_1918_001.png

2012-08-17_1918_002.png

The only bit im not finding are the "5. Go to CPU features turn off C5 C1 and EIST" thats no where to be found.

Advanced Tab --> Scroll down to CPU Power Managment Functions --> Disable the following:

• Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology
  • CPU C1E
  • CPU C3 Report
  • CPU C6 Report

This information can be found in section 3.5.1 of your motherboard manual, pages 3-16 and 3-17. :)

Advanced Tab --> Scroll down to CPU Power Managment Functions --> Disable the following:

• Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology
  • CPU C1E
  • CPU C3 Report
  • CPU C6 Report

This information can be found in section 3.5.1 of your motherboard manual, pages 3-16 and 3-17. :)

Ah ok, is it necessary to disable those? I have been running a stress test for about an hour and 30 and everything seems to be going good, that only thing is the temp spikes to around 74*C.

also is it normal to have one or 2 of the cores colder than the others

heres a pic: I have a CM hyper 212 plus

2012-08-17_2103.png

The temp variation is normal, you can use power savings features however i would do that after a stable overclock is reached.:cool::popcorn:

C-states are to lower your voltage when idle or doing simple tasks.
Now if all is stable, you might as well leave them on, and maybe experiment with offset voltage.
Apparently you need between 1.31v and 1.32v, setting a manual offset voltage needs you to get in that voltage range when under full load in windows, the up side is that your voltage will throttle down when idle, the down side is that it can take quite some time to find the value you need, also due to vdroop.

The temp variation is normal, you can use power savings features however i would do that after a stable overclock is reached.:cool::popcorn:
Ok, cool ill look into that.

C-states are to lower your voltage when idle or doing simple tasks.
Now if all is stable, you might as well leave them on, and maybe experiment with offset voltage.
Apparently you need between 1.31v and 1.32v, setting a manual offset voltage needs you to get in that voltage range when under full load in windows, the up side is that your voltage will throttle down when idle, the down side is that it can take quite some time to find the value you need, also due to vdroop.

alright, im pretty happy with the OC I have right now, but I might look into that

Back