• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Overclocking kingston hyper x 1600 to 1866 with gigabyte board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugsyAristocrat

This is my first post here not sure really how to go about this but here goes if want to jump to last paragraph my main questions are there as well .( I been in my bios and noticed since i just bought this new ram the kingston 1600 hyperx im able to make use of the X.M.P extreme memory profile and overclock my ram well i have the gigabyte Z68 ma-d2h-b3 motherboard with sandy bridge 2500k cpu and i have A-data 1333 ram 2x4 and my question is since i have 4 slots for ddr3 what would be better to run just my new kingston hyper X's just use these and overclock them to 1866 or 1600 or would it be ok to run my adata 2x4 with my new kings 2x4 that would give me total of 12 gbs but this is mostly for gaming i really only use 4gbs or little more for all i do but for best overall speed and dependability which is the best way to go and i dont know how the timings are gonna work out cause the adata 2x4 are 1333 9-9-9-24 but the kings do have the same timings 9-9-9-24 but there 1600s so how should i run this faster all together or just use the kings and overclock them?

Wanted to mention i tried runing the kings and did xmp profile 1 and bumped up the memory multiplier to 18.66 and it auto matically moved the voltage to 1.65 is this ok seems high to me cause it was 1.5 says on side of kings though 1.65 so maybe thats just how high they run ? timings turned out to be 11-11-11-32 seems little high to me also or is this a good thing i have know idea should i just run at 1600 and keep it 9-9-9-24 or keep them overclocked at 11-11-11-32 which is faster??

Last question this has got alot of contraversy on gigabyte forums in my bios there is a setting called MEMORY ENHANCE which allows u to choose STANDARD vs TURBO vs EXTREME i got on standard but i think read and write speeds is better on turbo not sure about this im gonna run some tests with AIDA64 and memory benchmarks and try to see but what u guys think about those timings and probably better to run just the kings or use both let me know please?

Last edited:
1. You don't have to overclock RAM. It doesn't really help with performance at all. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

2. You can't run different sticks of memory at different speeds. Since you have 2 sticks of 1333MHz in there and two sticks of 1600MHz in there, you might not be able to achieve stability at 1600MHz, since you would be overclocking the 1333MHz chips, and there's no guarantee that they get to 1600MHz.

LOWER timing are better. Even though the Kingston sticks are 1600-9-9-9-24, the ADATA sticks can't do 1600-9-9-9-24 since that's too high of an overclock for them. That's why the board set them at 1600-11-11-11-32, the looser timings along with the increased voltage might be enough to get them stable.

Frankly I'd just return the Kingston sticks, as you can see from the article the increase in RAM isn't going to help performance at all and having mismatched sets ends up being a bit of a headache. Or put the slightly faster Kingston sticks in if you have something else you can do with the AData sticks.

Well i dont really see a big difference but i do see a difference and i only have 4 gbs in the A-data so now im just running the kings at 1600 on profile 1 on x.m.p .thanks for reply but i dont think i will be returning the kingstons because i do definatly need the extra ram cause like i said i was using almost close to 4 gbs so 8 total is doing me great i been running benchmarks with 3d mark and Aida64 and definatly getting better read and write speeds with the kingston hyper x genesis blues if get a chance get them there cheaper than most and are faster and oc better than corsair i have heard corsair vengeance cant even oc they just cant they say they can but dont live up to what they say well thanks again now im thinking off overclocking my cpu but cheers .

O by the way just checking looks like a azza solano there just wandering cause i have a azza solano 1000 case same color

It depends what you're trying to do. Memory speed is extremely important in getting high scores in benchmarks, but it doesn't help with "real-world" usage.

Bit confused, you said you had 2x4GB of ADATA and 2z4GB of Kingston?

It's a Thermalright Armor series, btw.

Im sorry guys to confuse the 2 types are a-data 1333 mgz 2x2gbs vs kingston hyper x genesis blues 2x4gbs should i go just the kings and overclock or put both together

Leave in the kings only. Run them at their stock settings. Overclocking RAM doesn't make a difference outside of benchmarks.

Back