• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible issue...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Alright, I've been researching around for awhile and nothing seems to fix my issue.

As of a week ago, My computer randomly locks up and speakers emit a very loud buzzing noise. I know this is what happens when it locks up, so that isn't the issue.

The issue is at What could be causing it. I hope my suspicion is incorrect, because i REALLY can't afford to replace my power supply right now.

In bios, It reports 12.467V on the 12v rail, but in HWMon it shows only 8.18v...
Speccy Says 8.184v, and Speedfan says 10.65v....I REALLY hope my bios is right and these are wrong

I'm concerned about this. Memory passes memtest perfectly fine, And I just now bumped it down to 1333 for tests sake. So I don't think It's memory.

Another possibility is the MoBo, But if it was, usually it works, or it doesn't.

Yet ANOTHER possibility is one of my Hard Drives, Which is a refurb 1TB Caviar black...

Some light shed on this matter would help, Because I'm truely at a loss Right now.

Last edited:
Software is notorious for misreading voltage.
If you have access check voltage with a Digital Multimeter.

Troubleshooting usually involves simplifying until it does not work.
Brilliance is more direct.

Swap power supplies is one alternative.
Remounting the CPU cooler with a cleaning and fresh Thermal Paste.
Clean and reTP VIDEO CARD.
Could be motherboard slot failure.

Basics are disassemble, than start out of case with motherboard on cardboard, power supply, and one RAM card.
Try to post (momentary shorting the "PWR" pins will start computer).
Check each memory module individually in (probably) the furthest slot from the CPU.
Then repeat with both memory sticks.
Last if things have not failed, try video card.

Add HDD with operating system, repeat.
ADD second HDD, repeat.

Do you have a multimeter on hand? You can check the PSU separately that way, software readings of voltages are usually not very accurate. Start the PSU by sticking a paper clip in the green wire and any one of the black wires on the main 24pin connector.

I have one, AND a voltage testing module on my MOBO*GD-65* However, I do not Own it. Will ask the owner tomorrow to test it.

Do I test it while pc Is ON/OFF or just one or the other?

Ooh. Those are different voltage points, that lets you more accurately measure vcore and VTT and other voltages you use while overclocking.

I'm saying you jump the PSU and make sure it's outputting its three voltages within spec (12V, 3.3V, and 5V). Molex has 12V and 5V, not sure which connector has the 3.3V on it.

Well, The 3.3V on all sofware and bios is 3.33V, And the Voltages on 5V on software/bios is exactly 5.886 across all of them again, Only the 12 volt varies...

But I'm trying to evade the paperclip trick to evade a painful shock, as I am not the most nimble person with ones hands.(Had a stroke due to heart condition, etc etc.)

Any other alternative to testing? I may buy one of those power supply testers If need be...I have an OOOOLD Psu I don't trust on this pc, so can't switch em out.

I know I'm being a "hardass" When it comes to this, I just really don't have the money to afford any messups or waiting too long.

No, no, you're being completely reasonable. What model PSU do you have again?, I apologize if it's in your signature, can't see it on mobile.

You'd be hard pressed to shock yourself with the paperclip method. Get the paperclip in place with the PSU not plugged into the wall. Once you have the paperclip in place, plug it in and read the voltages.

Even without that method, shocking yourself with 12v (or less) is a very good trick and generally requires open wounds.

Yep, put the paper clip in, put your probes in the holes. Plug the PSU in, turn on the PSU switch. You can't get shocked by that.

Disconnect the bad HD, boot the PC, let it sit. Watch it, prolly won't boot but thats okay. Maybe it's that. I don't see many HD cause a 12 VDC fault.

Tested with multimeter:

Results:

24 pin 12v rail:12.446V
MOLEX= 12.356V

So healthy in that regard.

Next on the list to find out what is crashing my pc..

Will update next time it crashes.

Last edited:
That's really rather of a lot on the 24pin connector. More than there ought to be really. Max spec is 12.6v, I've yet to see a living PSU put out more than 12.4 or so if it wasn't having issues or a wildly unbalanced load.

Alright. Well PC still crashes.

I have noticed it Only crashes when it has been on a LONG time, ~8+ hours. Just locks up.

This is with memory underclocked to 1333 cl8

So I think I can rule out memory.

Once I finish downloading the latest mobo drivers onto my flash drive, I will reformat my pc and see if that does anything...

Heres to hoping, Yeah?:fight:

Edit: No crashes as of yet. Thinking it may have been corrupted registry involving video drivers. Ah well.

Last edited:
Back