• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 640 Help please!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n0xturnaL

Registered
Can someone help me overclock the evga 640 video card using "evga precision x" or tell me if i'd be able to use msi after burner because im not sure how to use the evga precision x software ty also dont know how much i could over clock this card its brand new upgrade from my last card galaxy gt 440
thank you

Hi n0x,

I'd suggest using MSI Afterburner. They're basically the same program I believe, but the MSI version seems much more popular. I haven't overclocked any 6 series cards yet, but it should be pretty straight forward! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I don't know if im doing it right.... Because when i over clocked the galaxy gt 440 it actually told you the mhz on the slider not just +40 and +25.....

Attachments

• GPU.png
    GPU.png
    260.8 KB · Views: 2,108
Ah, I see what you mean. Must be related to the GPU "Boost clock", but as I said I have no experience with these new cards so I can't help you much. Have you tried afterburner?

Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some help for you.

Welcome to modern Nvidia overclocking. It's something like building a block tower in the dark. Lots of groping around and no clear idea of what is actually going on.

That said the process is the same, you just have different numbers to play with. The +MHz on the memory clock is fairly self explanatory, it does what you'd guess, adds that many MHz to the ram. Whether it's in base frequency or DDR frequency you'll have to check with GPuz.

The core is more complicated. On a GT640 it should still be more or less the same, setting it to +50MHz will add 50MHz to the core in all situations. Idle, 2d, 3d, they all get 50MHz more.
On actual Kepler chips (the 640 is, I believe, a rebadged fermi based thing) the turbo boost makes things significantly more complicated.

The GT 640 is a bit of a black sheep currently being the only Kepler based card without GPU Boost, and although whatever OC software you use has to support Kepler to work the GT 640, it's otherwise very similar to previous generations in terms of how you overclock it. I had a perfectly easy time overclocking the Galaxy GT 640 GC with our own Xtreme Tuner Plus software. I highly recommend overclocking, at least on our own GC version of the card, because you can easily get near GTX 550 Ti performance with almost no impact on temps. You can download XT+ from the link below, and if you have any questions using it I'd be glad to help you out:

http://www.galaxytechus.com/usa/files/XtremeTuner_Plus_V1.04_20120713.rar

Oh, and just to confirm, Galaxy XT+ works fine with other brand cards.

Back