• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to folding...question about slow WUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TBurt

Registered
I joined the team/folding late last night. The first WU went by without much problems. I did have one problem where the GPU was not being used. I updated my drivers and the GPU started working on the second WU. Now here is the problem I am having. The second WU has been going for almost 12 hours and it is only ~46% done. It is saying the ETA is 11+ days. It was going a lost faster when it first started this WU. It now has come to almost no progress. Do some WUs really take this long? I have PRCG 7905 (142,3,16)... I think that is the protein that it is folding, right? It is an A4 from what I read those are slower. From reading though it does not seem they were that much slower. I checked and all 8 threads are at 100%, and the GPU load is around 85 to 90%.

I know my computer is not very fast since it is a laptop. Maybe my computer is not fast enough to run F&H? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

My specs: I7 2670QM 2.2GHz, 8GB ram, NVIDIA GT550m

If your running CPU and GPU, ther your laptop is working on 2 WU's. Also, set the number of threads to 6 so you have 2 for handling the data feed for the GPU and normal CPU stuff, that should speed things up a bit for the CPU side of the client.
Oh and your computer is fast enough :)

I joined the team/folding late last night. The first WU went by without much problems. I did have one problem where the GPU was not being used. I updated my drivers and the GPU started working on the second WU. Now here is the problem I am having. The second WU has been going for almost 12 hours and it is only ~46% done. It is saying the ETA is 11+ days. It was going a lost faster when it first started this WU. It now has come to almost no progress. Do some WUs really take this long? I have PRCG 7905 (142,3,16)... I think that is the protein that it is folding, right? It is an A4 from what I read those are slower. From reading though it does not seem they were that much slower. I checked and all 8 threads are at 100%, and the GPU load is around 85 to 90%.

I know my computer is not very fast since it is a laptop. Maybe my computer is not fast enough to run F&H? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

My specs: I7 2670QM 2.2GHz, 8GB ram, NVIDIA GT550m

If your running CPU and GPU, ther your laptop is working on 2 WU's. Also, set the number of threads to 6 so you have 2 for handling the data feed for the GPU and normal CPU stuff, that should speed things up a bit for the CPU side of the client.

Ok I have a couple more dumb questions. I am using version 7.1.52 for folding. It only shows one slot being used (0). It does not show any slot assigned to GPU, yet something is running on it. Should I post the log file? Also how do I set the # of threads on version 7? Would that be the part where is says percent of CPU to use? Should I set that to 75% to back off 2 threads?

Thanks for your patience for my newbie questions!

I got the CPU working right. BOINC was somehow loading and not showing up in task manager under apps. I went to process in task manager and found it was still running SETI or Rosseta@home. So it looks like F@H is still not using my GPU. Any ideas?

THe GT550M may not be whitelisted. I would be a bit reluctant to fold on a mobile GPU, but if SETI worked on it and didn't overheat it, FAH might not either.

THe whitelist download instructions are found here: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=21205

The GT 550M is on the whitelist download.

THe number of cores setting in version 7 is refered to as the smp index, IIRC. I'm not running any v7 clients to go look. Again if memory serves correctly, -1 is all cores/threads, and 6 would be 6 threads. You don't need to set this if the gpu isn't folding.

Seti running on a GPU will not allow Folding to run on it...Folding craps out but seti keeps on crunching for some reason...I figured this out on one machine a while ago.:shrug:

THe GT550M may not be whitelisted. I would be a bit reluctant to fold on a mobile GPU, but if SETI worked on it and didn't overheat it, FAH might not either.

THe whitelist download instructions are found here: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=21205

The GT 550M is on the whitelist download.

THe number of cores setting in version 7 is refered to as the smp index, IIRC. I'm not running any v7 clients to go look. Again if memory serves correctly, -1 is all cores/threads, and 6 would be 6 threads. You don't need to set this if the gpu isn't folding.

I checked and it is on the white list. I put the GPUs.txt in the data folder like the instructions said, but yet F&H still shows GPU: 0 in the System Info. I looked closer at the GPUs.txt and notice that the GT550M listed is not the same as the one Dell used in my machine. Mine is more like a GT555M with slower clock speeds. It is based off of GF106 and not the normal GF108 that GT550Ms are. (along with DDR3 mine is using) So I tried to edit the GPUs.txt to reflect that. Basically I copied the GT555M with DDR3 line for the GT550m. F&H still does not see my GPU. Any ideas?

I think the 555M is whitelisted as well, thouh Dell may have a vifferent vendor code on their model. I think GPU-Z will give you the info you need to make the white list enrty.

I think the 555M is whitelisted as well, thouh Dell may have a vifferent vendor code on their model. I think GPU-Z will give you the info you need to make the white list enrty.

I edited the GPUs.txt by changing this line:
0x10de:0x0df6:2:2:GF108 [GeForce GT 550M]

To this:

0x10de:0x0dd6:2:2:GF106 [GeForce GT 550M]

I am got the information from GPU-z. Take a look at it and see if I am missing something... which I would not doubt. :) I also tried NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M as that is the way GPU-z shows the name of the card. It did not work either. Anything I should change? Thanks for all the help everyone has been giving me!

Attachments

• GT550m.jpg
    GT550m.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 50
Did you by chance select a service install?

It finally started working. I left to go eat dinner and came back. I restarted F&H again and now it shows my GPU! It cannot get any WUs though. I am getting "00:40:01:WARNING:WU00:FS01:Failed to get assignment from 'assign-GPU.stanford.edu:80': Empty work server assignment".

Does that mean the server is down or is this something wrong on my end?

I see that you went to the right place to find the answer.

I figured it had to be something on their end that was keeping me from downloading. It appears to be working on my end other than the downloading part. Thanks again for everyone's help here. :)

Back