• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 vs HTR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lyian

I've been hunting around for a good 5.1 set for my PC. Before I moved, i managed to find space for my receiver and floor speakers, but it ate up a lot of space.

So now im looking for either a good set of computer speakers (ie ones that sound good, but can be tucked away (ie having the amp/connections in the sub, on the floor with a control unit) or finding a small enough amp that i can fit it someplace out of the way.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Generally home theater stuff has settled in the component and speaker sizes it has for reasons, typically they're already about as small as can be reasonable made.

Smaller satellite speakers won't sound as good as full range, etc. Shrinking usually only diminshes quality. The Klipsch promedias are awesome, for computer speakers, but obviously there's a ton of better sounding solutions if size/cost isn't an issue. If you don't need surround sound, perhaps look at getting some self-amplified studio monitors.

Generally home theater stuff has settled in the component and speaker sizes it has for reasons, typically they're already about as small as can be reasonable made.

Smaller satellite speakers won't sound as good as full range, etc. Shrinking usually only diminshes quality. The Klipsch promedias are awesome, for computer speakers, but obviously there's a ton of better sounding solutions if size/cost isn't an issue. If you don't need surround sound, perhaps look at getting some self-amplified studio monitors.

Surround sound isnt a matter of need for anything really, but i would really prefer to have it. If size wasnt an issue, i would have my HT receiver and tower speakers hooked back up, as they sounded pretty good.

But i also know i don't necessarily need that level of quality from computer speakers (tho it would be nice to have something decent until i get my living room setup (ie buy a couch and a tv) so i can watch movies and such on my computer.

The Only issue i have with the Klipsch setup is it doesnt support Optical input, which i feel is better than analog, but i dont suppose this is something to get hung up about.

You cannot hear digital soundstreams....somewhere in the system a DAC is required (digital to analogue converter). If you use an optical cable to hook up a sound system, a DAC is require inside the amplifier....if you hook up a system with analogue cables, you are forcing the system to use the DAC in the source (your soundcard). Due to the general high quality of the DACs built into soundcards these days....Klipsch did the right thing by forcing the use of analogue cables, instead of raising the price further on the ProMedia systems by including a DAC in them.

In addition to the quality issue, the surround sound options on a soundcard are generally better than a surround sound computer speaker set, and by using the analogue connections, you'll have more freedom to explore the capabilities of your soundcard.

I bought a Promedia 5.1 Ultra a little over a year ago (bought used), but they are plagued with longevity problems in the amp. My amp had been modified to overcome the original poor engineering....but the amp still failed. So I picked up an Onkyo reciever and a BASH subwoofer amp. But I was not happy with the performance of the sub (before or after the BASH amp) so I ditched it in favor of a custom built 18" sub I made. I also replaced my LCR speakers with Onkyo bookshelf speakers, and now I only run the 4 Klipsch satellites in the rear.

I would look at the current systems, the Klipsch are engineered to sound awesome, but only for a short time :(

My system is getto....but it sounds great! :D

You cannot hear digital soundstreams....somewhere in the system a DAC is required (digital to analogue converter). If you use an optical cable to hook up a sound system, a DAC is require inside the amplifier....if you hook up a system with analogue cables, you are forcing the system to use the DAC in the source (your soundcard). Due to the general high quality of the DACs built into soundcards these days....Klipsch did the right thing by forcing the use of analogue cables, instead of raising the price further on the ProMedia systems by including a DAC in them.

In addition to the quality issue, the surround sound options on a soundcard are generally better than a surround sound computer speaker set, and by using the analogue connections, you'll have more freedom to explore the capabilities of your soundcard.

I bought a Promedia 5.1 Ultra a little over a year ago (bought used), but they are plagued with longevity problems in the amp. My amp had been modified to overcome the original poor engineering....but the amp still failed. So I picked up an Onkyo reciever and a BASH subwoofer amp. But I was not happy with the performance of the sub (before or after the BASH amp) so I ditched it in favor of a custom built 18" sub I made. I also replaced my LCR speakers with Onkyo bookshelf speakers, and now I only run the 4 Klipsch satellites in the rear.

I would look at the current systems, the Klipsch are engineered to sound awesome, but only for a short time :(

My system is getto....but it sounds great! :D

I am aware of the amp issue with the Klipsch systems, One auction im looking at already has the upgrades to the components plus a cooling fan to elevate the issue.

I had upgrades done by Henry (ebay id: stpeteshepherd) 3 years ago. Note that the subwoofer never failed, but I had the upgrades done anyway just in case. The internals were replaced with much higher heat tolerant components, and a cooling fan was installed. System has run without problems or issues since then.

Current systems (such as the Logitech Z906) come with their own issues. {including many saying its a downgrade of the Z-5500)

Im debating taking a chance on the Klipsch. The digital input isn't a massive deal, but that's how i had it plugged in to my HT receiver (so it did the sound processing work instead of the pc)

I'm in an apartment so i don't have a ton of room, plus i cant setup anything in a permanent fashion (such as the one in the video you linked)

My setup: Find yourself some Polk Monitor 40s and the matching center CS1. They can be found new for a decent price seeing as how they are no longer made, but lots of stock still available. Buy a amp of your choice, add on a Sub of your choice, and your pretty much set. Best thing, they can easily pull full duty as your main speakers for your HT and PC.

I am aware of the amp issue with the Klipsch systems, One auction im looking at already has the upgrades to the components plus a cooling fan to elevate the issue.

The system I bought was upgraded in the same way....the amp still failed :rolleyes:

Back