• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P55 Classified 200 w/ i5 650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jokrjj788

I have a P55 classified board with and i5 650. I am having problems with getting it to overclock. The slightest adjustment I make at all the system will not boot up. I have different types of ram at the moment. Was wondering what would be be the best recommendation for 16gb of ram and what would be the right step from there to overclock.

Specs:

-P55 Classified 200
-i5 650
-h60 Hydra Cooler
-pny geforce gtx 460 1gb
-650watt power supply
-12gb ram, 3 different,

Thanks for all help in advance

I have the P55 chipset with an 875k on an Intel DP55KG board and it overclocks well. But with my k chip, I just raise the multiplier. Not sure the i5 650 can do that. Is this your chip?

I have never mixed RAM. What have you mixed (voltages and timings and brands)? 16gb of mixed RAM is usually harder to stabilize than one stick of 4 gb. Here is a good guide for us P55 types that includes non k chips: http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/ Good luck. :)

Ya that is the processor that I have, it is all different types of ram. I will be buying a set of new ram at the end of the week.

What setting did you have to change, if any in the bios.

I overclock to make a game run faster because it's more fun for me. I go back to stock if I don't need the OC.

I learned on a x58 chipset and core i7 920. I did most manually since my EVGA board was not a classified and did not have a multiplier past 20x. E-LEET is a nice software program for reading and changing BIOS and your motherboard is far better than I have.

I have OC and under-clocked this chip/board/RAM so know it very well. At this time when I get a new game and want to OC, I go into BIOS and turned off the automatic controls. Then I set my RAM to XMP1 so it takes care of itself (otherwise I set timings manually). Then I raised the voltage to 1.3 volts (my stock is about 1.2v and 1.3v is safe). Then I set the multiplier to 30x. At my BUS speed that is 4.0 GHz. I know it will boot there because it always has in the past. I can easily get it to 4.4 so I know it is not on the edge of stability. When you OC, you want to go slowly like the article says and write everything down including BIOS changes. Read your software manual on BIOS too. Often there is an entire chapter or two of good information.

My Intel BIOS communication software is called "Intel Desktop Control Center". It's OK, but I don't think it was as "user-friendly" as E-LEET for EVGA.

As far as the RAM, I suggest you buy low voltage RAM - between 1.3v and 1.5v - at least avoid the 1.65v RAM because it can get too high and unstable (see the motherboard manual). Mixing speeds or voltages or maybe even brands of RAM is asking for RAM errors. OS makes a difference. For Windows 7 64-bit, 8 gb is usually fine otherwise 4 gb is fine for 32 bit. It's usually a bit more stable to buy less DIMM modules. In other words, if you buy 8 gb, then 4gb x 2 is better (in theory) than 2gb x 4 from what I read. But I have older 2gb x 4 and it works fine for me.

Will be curious how you do OC'ing the non-k chip. I don't have one of those. It may take more finesse than a k chip. Make sure you have the latest BIOS or read the EVGA forums about what the best one is for that board. When you get the new RAM, you can try the XMP profile(s) and see if that is stable. That might be a good start. Good luck. :)

Back