• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12.8 Drivers are out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion128ReleaseNotes.aspx

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System
  • Over/underscan settings are correctly restored on system reboot
  • SolidWorks: Graphical corruption is no longer experienced
  • Crysis Warhead: No longer crashes when launched in DirectX 10 mode
  • System no longer hangs when resuming from sleep mode
  • Audio is no longer disabled if the connected HDTV Is switched off/on
  • Enabling dual graphics mode with a HD 7000 series product no longer displays green video playback
  • Call of Duty- Black Ops : No longer hangs when loading a mission in DirectX 9 mode with Crossfire enabled
  • Shogun 2: Flickering text is no longer experienced
  • Star Wars – The Old Republic: In game cinematics no longer experience flicker when using the arrow keys
  • Dirt Showdown: 8-Ball track no longer hangs with AMD Crossfire functionality enabled
  • Max Payne 3: A black screen is no longer observed when launching game in DirectX 11 mode with AMD Crossfire functionality enabled
  • Max Payne 3: Applying in game settings no longer causes the game to crash

Yes, im happy that they finally solved the scaling issue, took them a sheer amount of time to fix some pretty simple matters but better late than never.

But what i find most astounding is that the driver finally seems to be stable, at 1150/1350 i experience no stability issue or crashing. So that new driver is currently superior to any other driver, although im not finish testing and its far to quick to call it "bulletproof".

What can be said is, that my massive issues i previously had with the 12.6 and 12.7beta drivers are finally gone. Its funny that the full version of 12.7 never been released and it was basically a 12.6 based "patchwork". So they passed on releasing a 12.5 driver, and passed on releasing a "non beta" 12.7 driver. Thats clearly a strong sign of AMDs issues they currently have with releasing any proper drivers.

So it feels like the 12.8 is some good advancement and one step forward.

Last edited:
Just updated to 12.8 and I can't run anything without locking up which is promptly followed by AMD display driver has stopped working but has since recovered. Then while I was browsing the AMD site to reinstall the 12.7 beta I had it happen again. I guess these drivers don't like me :(

Just updated to 12.8 and I can't run anything without locking up which is promptly followed by AMD display driver has stopped working but has since recovered. Then while I was browsing the AMD site to reinstall the 12.7 beta I had it happen again. I guess these drivers don't like me :(

Hmm thought it was just me with this problem.

I'm all about trying new drivers... give me something to tinker with; though, I'm prolly one of the few that still have hope due to not having drivers issues on AMD cards...

I'll update once I get home... anyone notice any performance gains?

I ran a few tests

Driver: 12.6,

Heaven: Tessellation normal, GPU: 1175 / 1375, AA 4x @ 1920 x 1080P

Avg 60.2 FPS

Driver: 12.8,
Avg 61.2 FPS
+ 1 FPS

-----

AVP canned bench: GPU: 1175 / 1375 @ 1920 x 1080P

Driver: 12.6,
77.2 FPS

Driver: 12.8,
79.0 FPS
+ 1.8 FPS

-----

3DMark 11: @ 720P Is never consistent but always ~ 7300 GFX score @ 1175 / 1375 and is still ~ 7300 with 12.8 Drivers

-----

BF3 Op- Swordbreaker, Ultra Preset, 1175 / 1375, @ 1920 x 1080P

Driver: 12.6
55 FPS

Driver: 12.8
56 FPS
+ 1 FPS

Overclocking: no change, highest Heaven pass on stock volts is still 1150 / 1375. Needing 1.243v to 1.27v to get 1175Mhz to 1225Mhz on the clock.

I have turned off (Force Constant Voltage) in MSI AB, no Blah screen yet :thup:

It seems there might be a small performance improvement going 12.6 to 12.8 again.
Nothing like the hudge boost from 12.2 to 12.3 and 12.5 to 12.6 but very welcome none the less.

Well done AMD.

@ Pandasplooge / mstersmith.

Did you guys unistall the old drivers properly first? here is how

this is the way i always do it,-

1. Use AMD Catalyst Install Manager to uninstall the driver.
  2. Restart when prompted.
  3. Delete ATI and AMD folders from C: Drive or whatever drive you installed Windows on.
  4. Enter Device Manager.
  5. Under Display Adapters, right click your Graphics Card name and select Uninstall.
  6. Check the Delete the Driver Box and hit OK.
  7. Check if any of the following processes are running: CCC.exe, atieclxx.exe, atiesrxx.exe, MOM.exe and close all of them.
  8. Install and run Phyxion Driver Sweeper.
  9. Select AMD – Display checkbox.
  10. Hit Analyze.
  11. Hit Clean and wait for the software to search for all the files. When prompted for action hit Yes.
  12. Restart your PC.
  13. Install whatever driver you want.

Well even after uninstalling 12.8 and reinstalling 12.7b that worked fine before I updated today I am still getting driver crashes. I can't play any games with being kicked to desktop with the amd display driver has stopped working but has since recovered message.

I use atiman uninstaller which does everything what frakk did then install 12.8 + cap 3 :) So far so good, no gsod...

The whole driver remove process is that complicated that it would probably be easyer just to install whole OS again. Seriously... why cant they just make a clean driver uninstall, whats the issue?

The whole driver remove process is that complicated that it would probably be easyer just to install whole OS again. Seriously... why cant they just make a clean driver uninstall, whats the issue?

Its the same with all Drivers and app's, the Windows registry and it not wanting to let some things go, As you install and uninstall programs the Windows registry holds on to bits of it, in the end it ends up a bloated mess with somethings in the registry components interfering with eachother, and you need registry cleaners to sort it all out.

I use ioBit-Uninstaller for everything that i uninstall which has a registry scanner built in.

Guaranteed every time i uninstall something Windows registry is still full of remlances of it.

Back