• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Choosing a GPU (First Build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackle00

Registered
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($169.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Hey guys this is my first gaming build and I was wondering what would you guys suggest for my GPU. I picked out the HD 7850 because I heard it competes well with the competition for its price. Also, is it true that Radeon cards are more for environment compared to Nvidia? I plan on playing GW2 which has alot of environment effects etc so Im looking for one that can handle the graphics overload of people and effects. Thanks again suggestions to other cards will help loads ty.

is it true that Radeon cards are more for environment compared to Nvidia?

No. They'll do equally well at environment. Particularly with the latest generation cards, where AMD has caught up with Nvidia in the tessellation game.

Also, check out this thread over at Hardforum Hot Deals. 7850 for $205 with free shipping. Superbiiz is reputable, I've bought from them several times. Hell of a deal on a nice card.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1710845

Any high powered card should take care of your needs just fine, as far as the enviromental stand point I have no clue, what you really want to research into for that would be the best cards for tessalation and anti aliasing (someone correct me if I'm wrong) My only concern with your setup would be your lack of storage, have you considered a secondary hdd for all the games?

Also what resolution will you be running at?

Yeah ill definitely look into tessalations and antialiasing stuff. As for resolution im not to sure yet havent decided if i want a 21.5" or a 23". I was thinking a 1920x1080 resolution if that makes any sense. And for storage well at the moment theres only a couple of games im going to play so that isnt an issue for the mean time, but yes i will be getting a secondary HDD for storage and all other games. Also, Ive heard that Nvidia works better than Radeon for Intel CPU and vice versa for AMD CPUs. Any thoughts on that?

And LZ_Xray that deal sounds sweet but it shows only $241.99 :( maybe its a done deal.

Build looks great. HD 7850 would be plenty fine for GW2 at 1080p. Then get to overclocking it for those few extra frames ;). Stick with it. Unless you can find a GTX 660 Ti for cheap.. They're starting to roll out now. But for the price; the 7850 is great

Back