• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My ATI Radeon 3870 HD Is Getting Extremely Hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T_larson911

Hello guys, this is my first thread on this forum.
I have recently installed an ATI Radeon 3870 HD in my rig a few days ago. The performance seems pretty good with all my games, but there is a problem.
The card gets hot, like it went up to 115C and then my games would crash and the taskbar will show a message saying the the video driver has stopped working. Sometimes the system would restart when it gets too hot.
I took off the cooling case and it's not dusty, but I used the air compressor on it anyways. I checked the heat sink solution and put new Arctic Silver thermal paste on it.
Still runs up to 105+ Celsius.
I did one more thing though...
I checked the GPU specs for my card and I saw that they were clocked at 775Mhz for the core, so I clocked it from 800 (which apparently is the factory default?!?) and downclocked it to 775. Still gets pretty hot...

Does anyone have any ideas what is up with my card? Is it junk?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

i know my old 3870x2 i had to manually set my fanspeed to 40% because they had a problem with auto fan speed it wouldnt ramp up idk if the 3870 was plagued with the same problem might give it a try in CCC

My case has, one fan in the front, 2 on the side (they both are vertical together), 1 fan in the back of the case, and one on the top to let out the rising heat. I will look into CCC and see if I can change the fan speed on that.
When the video card would crash and reboot the computer, the fan would throttle all the way up and I could feel all that hot air flying out the back vent of the video card, but when the card is running normal, I can barely feel any air going out the back vent.

Back