• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X6 1055T running hot, don't know why

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

octopusx

Registered
Hello everyone!

I've bought a Phenom II X6 1055T about a week ago, along with an Asrock 970 extreme 3 board. When I first hooked up the two components in my system and tested things out everything was normal. I didn't overclock anything, just check bios if everything is set how it should be and it was.
Was using CoreTemp to read the CPU temperatures, they were from 20ish in idle to about 48-50 full load. I'm not using the stock cooler since it didn't come with the CPU (bought a box version). I'm using my trusty Loki cooler I used on my previous PC (6 copper pipes, 92mm fan) and it worked great.
I replaced the thermal paste with arctic silver one.
But now after a week, my CPU temperature readings are off the charts, with 50C on idle. I've tried everything I know to fix this but just can't seem to work out what's wrong. I've re-applied the paste at least 10 times, cleaned everything, also switched the backplate. Nothing worked.

I've ordered a new cooling system (closed water loop) from Antec but I dare not think that it won't fix this.

I should also note that when I ran my CPU at 55C for 10min (idle or browsing) and then turned it off and quickly removed heatsink and touched my CPU, it was cool. Backplate was hot, probably 40+. I'm confused.

So if anyone has any tips or has faced a similar issue, I'd need some help.

Thank you!

maybe your coolers fan was on its way out and not running or running slow?

I've check for that first thing I noticed the temps go up. Fan is fine.
For some reason I think that the contact between the heatsink and CPU isn't perfect.
But when I check on it, it seems more than fine. I am really out of ideas on what could be the problem.

maybe take a straight edge to it and check for flatness they have to be damn near perfect,you could always lap it with some 600 then 1000 grip paper(dont suggest doing that to your cpu but some people do).

I've managed to somehow get the idle temps to around 40C by really pushing down the heatsink and added an additional 90mm fan that is now blowing directly on the cover+pipes on top of the CPU. It should last me until I get my water cooling kit on tuesday.
Money I had no intention to spend but, if temps are great then I'll OC the living crap out of this chip :)

Thanks for the tips/advice!

I've managed to somehow get the idle temps to around 40C by really pushing down the heatsink and added an additional 90mm fan that is now blowing directly on the cover+pipes on top of the CPU. It should last me until I get my water cooling kit on tuesday.
Money I had no intention to spend but, if temps are great then I'll OC the living crap out of this chip :)

Thanks for the tips/advice!

Sounds like your cooler attachment mechanism is not making good pressure or the paste is not giving good coverage.

You are probably right, but I can't fix it. I've tried absolutely everything and I can't put more pressure on the CPU. I've checked on this a dozen times, and heatsink and CPU are tightly together.

Back