• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Update Failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TBsteve

So...long story short, I have about 400 updates that failed to install. This is of course a recently built computer and has only been in use for a little over a week. My question is, how do I go about re-install these updates? Do I have to completely re-install windows? Sorry for my lack of knowledge regarding this, but I am just recently starting to get into computers and such...Hope you guys can help! Thanks.

Try selecting just a few at a time, most likely they will install fine. It's often just one or two that can wreck the whole set of updates.

No I'm saying I have 400 failed updates listed on my installed updates history. It will not let me do anything but look at the failure report, I can't restart them or anything.

I'm assuming your using Windows 7 of some iteration. Try to reset it, to see if it fixes it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

If it does not fix it. Could you share your OS version, including if it is Premium or whatnot. Then the exact code Windows Update is showing for the failure. Or a common code for failure.

I've tried the fix-it already and it didn't do anything :( thank you for the suggestion though.
As far as all that, I apologize I should have said everything I have.
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate edition, it came as a windows 7 disc with nothing on it but the OS, (no office products, etc.)
The error code that seems to repeat itself throughout the majority is this:
Error Code 800705B4
I looked the error up and it seems to be a time-out error, but why would my computer time-out? I remember having numerous updates download, but when I turned the computer on next day it failed to configure said updates.

Sorry for being cynical but I am wary of using anything that's not a "trusted source." Not saying I don't trust you, I just don't trust a non-Microsoft program that messes with my OS in any way. If you guys say that is my only option short of formatting though, I will try it.

I used that update reset program, and just so you know I'm officially in freaking-out mode. Now I have no updates what so ever, even when I check for new ones. Then, the only update options I have at the moment are the 34 language packs and internet explorer. I tried to update internet explorer, thinking on the off chance that it might get me to other updates, but I can't even install that update. It keeps failing. I'm about to just wipe my drive and restart

You may end up just needing to do that (format and restart). I'm not sure exactly what would/could have happened. Is your date/time set correctly? I've seen that cause random issues in the past.

I don't know man. I just feel stupid in the face of general computer use and programming. I can't get half of my games to work and now these updates are shot. I don't even want to restart the process without someone holding my hand throughout the entire process. Sorry for the lack of confidence, but this is definitely not my area of expertise. All I want to do is play my games darn it! lol

Haha :)

It shouldn't be too hard, really. I'm not sure how they would have all failed unless (like I said) something was wrong with your date/time (as I've had problems with that if my year/day was way off on the operating system).

I would just start from scratch, do a fresh format and reinstall of Windows 7 (make sure AHCI is set in the BIOS and that the SSD is on an Intel SATA3(6gbps) port as well (just incase they weren't already).

Once in Windows, check to make sure the date/time is set correctly, install your basic drivers (pre-download them from the manufacturer - don't use the CD) - chipset, LAN, video, audio, storage. After those are installed run Windows Update and go ahead and grab them all that are available to you (I always uncheck and 'hide' the language packs)

Okay will do. In regards to putting windows on my SSD, someone told me to make a partition for just my windows OS. First, how do I create a partition? And second, how much space should I leave in this partition? And finally, haha, will it show up when I go to install windows?

Edit: My god I have a lot of questions, should I uninstall all my games before reformatting?

Is there any way I could ask one of you to chat with me on messenger during this process? I have windows messenger on my mac. I just don't want to do half this stuff because I don't want to screw it up again :(

I wouldn't bother setting up a partition, your SSD is the right size for the OS and a couple of games.

to answer your second question you don't need to uninstall anything as a format will completely wipe the drive and start from scratch.

I don't use Windows Messenger (I have a google/gmail account and can use google chat/talk if you'd like - pm me if you want my info) I will be at work for the next 30 minutes or so if you want to chat now.

Reformatting wipes the drive clean. The Windows 7 installer will make a partition on any drive you install it to automatically. Easy as selcting the drive and hitting delete volume in the Windows 7 installer to wipe it.

I can't download google talk due to it being PC only. Thanks for the offer though...

Funny part is I am going through all this trouble to play a bunch of games that repeatedly give me problems anyways lol. It was a lot more fun building the actual computer.

If you haven't resolved your problem already, do this.

c:\windows\softwaredistribution\datastore\logs\edb.log

Delete that edb.log file, restart your computer and run update one more time. that should resolve your problem. You can even delete whole logs folder. Your OS will create one after you restart and run update.

Sorry for not posting a reply earlier, but I actually did fix it. Just reformatted and re-installed windows, got all my drivers and updates fine. Thanks for all of your replies! Everything is good (knock on wood) :)

Sorry for not posting a reply earlier, but I actually did fix it. Just reformatted and re-installed windows, got all my drivers and updates fine. Thanks for all of your replies! Everything is good (knock on wood) :)

Good to hear that you are up and running without issues after reformatting, but i am sure, it was just corrupted update log and associated files giving you that error and failure.

Issue could have been solved with minimal effort and there was no need to formatt whole system,
But hey, you have a fresh sytem running now, right.

Back