• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a some new audio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

banshee43

Registered
i have a $20 2.1 system from staples that i neeeeeed to upgrade now that i finally have almost finished* my build.. any suggestions for a mid priced, not doing any audio or video editing so nothing too crazy, good solid set?
would it be a good idea to but speakers individually and hook them into my mobo? or would a pre-determined system be better?

Last edited:
Depends how much you're willing to spend. Good audio is kinda pricey. Best budget (and yes, this is considered budget in the audio world) speakers are the Kilpsch Promedia 2.1, run about $150.

There's good headsets everywhere between $100-$250 as well, if you go that route. Paired with a good sound card, any good pair of headphones can do virtual surround sound, which makes for a much better gaming experience. I'd say speakers are better for watching movies. Music is really up to your preference.

im thinking ill just want some speakers not gunna get a sound card at least for a while.. so i guess im looking at around $125 for just some good ones?

You don't need a sound card. Like I said, if you can't afford the ProMedia 2.1s, get a pair of headphones. Even on onboard sound, theyll sound very good. The sound card is for virtual surround, meaning that when someone shoots or steps behind you, you will hear it behind you. The sound will also be more accurate and detailed with a sound card .

Just go all the way and get the AudioEngine A2's, I absolutely love mine. They are small speakers that sound like big speakers. 'Nuff said

Back