• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 is slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BCboneless

I have:

Asus P8P67-LE
560 Ti 448
8 GB G Skill sniper

I have 2 80 GB HDDs in RAID 0. At first it booted in about 25 seconds. A couple months ago it started slowing so that now it takes about 15 sec just to get to the windows loading screen. Also just recently in my RAID menu it says one HDD has an error but it is bootable. How do I find what the error is and can I lower the boot time?

Open a command prompt ( start > type cmd in start menu search > right click top listing cmd > run as administrator ). In the command window type chkdsk /f /r and hit enter. The system will ask you if you want to schedule a disk check on next reboot, type y and hit enter then reboot the system.

If it's a bad sector on the disk that should fix it by marking the sector as bad and the system won't use that sector anymore. Also, now would be a good time to backup your data if you haven't already.

chuckle, I would, they rock. The prices have come down quite a bit since I started running 'em. Way faster than a HDD RAID but work really well with a second RAID of HDD's for storage and some software installs. I put my OS, Office, security, and a couple small things like Firefox and stuff on them. The rest of the software gets installed to the HDD RAID in its own software folder for organization. You can also set the default folders for documents, music, pics, movies and stuff to the HDD RAID by changing them in Windows registry.

By the way, did that fix the bad sector issue?

Last edited:
OCZ Agility/Vertex 4, Samsung 830, and Intel 520 drives would be the drives to get right now. If you don't mind last generation, you can sometimes find incredible deals on OCZ Agility/Vertex 3 drives.

Personally, I really like the OCZ's, they upgrade their firmware improving their performance and are some of the fastest drives out aside from Intel.

At 80 gigs, am I to assume those HDD's of yours are 5400 rpm? If so, there's your speed issue.

Great suggestions Knufire.

Last edited:
Not on an Intel board. Amd will still use Garbage collection but I don't know if they have addressed that TRIM issue yet.

Back