• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'Junk' brand PSU's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KetoSoi

OK, I've been reading through this particular forum, and see a lot of the same brand PS's mentioned repeatedly as "quality units". Some do better than others apparently.

Is there a list compiled somewhere of known 'junk' brands, with tests/reviews backing up the conclusion?

Did you check out the sticky thread in our PSU section/the one in my signature? We have approved brands and some to avoid. There are links to other lists that show garbage PSU's as well.

Its here... just have to look for it. :)

I saw the list of PS's 'to avoid', which is what prompted my post... no supporting tests/reviews seemed to be included for that list, which is what I am asking about.

I am aware of JG's site...

Let me be more specific...

In the "Recommended PSU's - True/Tested " topic, all the PS's listed are linked to a test/review somewhere, that support the conclusions.

However, the "avoid" list does not have links to tests/reviews, to support the conclusions.

Nit that I know of then, no. However there us a link ti makers/oems and if you know, from the good ines and bad you can see.

If it hasn't been proven to be good, it is to be assumed to be bad. This is remarkably accurate.

You could always just Google the name of any of the brands in the "Avoid" list, followed by the word, "review". Chances are you'll find reviews like this one.

Perhaps if you've the time, you could compile a list of URLs for reviews of PSUs shown in the avoid listing that jiggamanjb could then link to.

If it hasn't been proven to be good, it is to be assumed to be bad. This is remarkably accurate.

Assumed to be bad? Assumptions are bad. That leaves too much subjectivity to be accurate, and leaves the list questionable at best, or subject to whim and bias at worst. Granted, those on the list with actual test results (available somewhere) need not be questioned, as they have been validated.

All I'm suggesting is that a 'bad list' should be wholly substantiated with verifiable documented results, just as the 'good list' has been with direct links.

As mentioned earlier, you are welcome to assist and add to the list by googling the reviews with which those came from. Point is, people in the know took that from reviews like JG/here/[H] that stated they were bad. You want to add to the list, make it happen as clearly it doesnt exist anywhere. :)

No worries. I simply dont have that kind of time myself. Just offering a suggestion to those who created the list to improve its credibility and validity. If theres no interest in doing that, thats OK by me.

I think its a decent idea... but who would want to confirm such a thing and read why the thing is garbage? Outside of a simple mistake, we wouldnt blackball a PSU for giggles so the list is trustworthy and came from reputable reviewers as described in the first post. If someone is that interested to see why a PSU is on the 'do not buy' list, they can google the review. People want to know more about what works, not what doesnt. Hence why we only support the good ones with links. :)

I would love to be able to test all the "bad" PSU brands and see how they work.
Unfortunately the companies that make bad PSUs know they are bad and don't send them out for review.
Worse, because neither site I write for actually pays me, I'd be paying to review one of those units. I'd have to buy it, and I certainly wouldn't be able to sell it after it exploded!
Sometimes (like my most recent review for OCF here) that happens even on what should have been a "good" PSU.
(That one bugs me, the design looked good, oh well)

Essentially, if you cannot find a review of a unit it is most likely because the company that manufactures it knows what the review result would be.
If we required ourselves to document the "bad" units it'd be a mighty short list, due to the above.

If I could find someone to supply me with PSUs and pay me for my testing time (about an hour for load testing regulation/ripple cold and hot, about an hour to write up the results and do the pictures. Another hour and change to take it apart and ID the components and find their specs and write that up), I would love to go through the bottom of the barrel searching for a hidden gem.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I know there are some shatty PS' out there for sure, just want a list like that to have its basis covered. I think thats always wise.

I think its a decent idea... but who would want to confirm such a thing and read why the thing is garbage?

But someone somewhere must have tested it to *know* its garbage ;)

But someone somewhere must have tested it to *know* its garbage
I guess my point is who cares WHY its garbage. People come here and trust we arent putting up false information. I really think you are one of if not THE first person to ask for reviews on garbage PSUs!

Like I said, decent idea, you are MORE than welcome to put your idea where your posts are and make it happen. :thup: :grouphug:

I want to, and people love reading reviews that end in BANG!

The time/money is the issue, really.

I guess my point is who cares WHY its garbage. People come here and trust we arent putting up false information. I really think you are one of if not THE first person to ask for reviews on garbage PSUs!

Hehe, what I am saying is.... someone here says definitely that SuperMegaHyperChocolate brand XXX10000w PS is garbage. OK great. How do they know? They must have tested it right? Publish the results!

Its all good EarthDog, just give'n ya some jazz :)

I want to, and people love reading reviews that end in BANG!.

lol, I'm guilty of that... :D

I like jazz, and Im just doing the same... Its easy to sit back and bark out requests ;). If you want to see this done, do it yourself is what it has been coming down to for a day now, but you wont. You keep regurgitating your wants but arent doing anything to get it yourself and want other people to do the work for you, when you have a forum willing to support your efforts.

I like jazz, and Im just doing the same... Its easy to sit back and bark out requests ;). If you want to see this done, do it yourself is what it has been coming down to for a day now, but you wont. You keep regurgitating your wants but arent doing anything to get it yourself and want other people to do the work for you, when you have a forum willing to support your efforts.

Like I said, I dont have time for such things. Its not my 'want' per say, or even for my benefit. I'm simply offering a suggestion to improve the credibility and validity of the 'avoid' list.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who trust the info without question, but others require more (or any) proof. This much I have learned in various offline conversations I've had with guys from here.

I've had a few people here tell me "the lists" are gospel, and others tell me its all BS (conspiracy theorist included) - both extremes represented.

I try to take a balanced approach myself, the truth is generally somewhere in the middle.

Sorry for wasting your guys time.

Back