• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock vs ASUS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MX5J6

I am building a gaming rig and while I know I may not NEED some monster mobo, a nicer upgrade wouldn't hurt. So I have been looking at the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 and now that the new ASRock OC Formula is out I was wondering how people think it will compare to the ASUS? Also will the OC Formula work with a standard ATX case? or would i need an E-ATX case? Are there other good standard ATX boards with at least 6 rear USB ports, 3 case fan headers and 2 CPU fan headers?

on my Asrock my onboard sound card has broken 2 times now
1st time the mobo was 2months old then RMA got a new one and 3 months later no sound i would go the Asus if its not alot more
also Asrock took 3 week to reply 2nd time
almost instant 1st time (maybe 1 day)

Well the SABERTOOTH is about 115 more than the ASRock I have in my sig now but the OC Formula was only $10 less so it's not a huge price just from the OC but might be worth it from the Extreme4. I was also looking at the ASUS Maximus V Gene, is that a good board? It seems to have everything I'd need but it's micro ATX and a little cheaper.

One other question on the MVG, will i be able to Xfire Gigabyte 7970 GHz with it? i know someone told me with the Lightning models they had trouble because of the reactor and width of their cooler but with no reactor, just a smooth top and an NH-D14, will I be able to Xfire?

without reactor should be fine but I would take bigger board and if you have money for 2x HD7970 then it shouldn't be so big problem to add $50 for full atx board ;)

I believe the Asrock OC board is larger than ATX form factor (see front page article on it - Also I will be reviewing that board soon).

Yeah I saw it is slightly bigger but I also read somewhere that it has the same standoff points and whatnotwhich is why I asked if it'd fit but now I'm really looking into the MVG and the SABERTOOTH. Really liking the Maximus so far. Only concern like I said is Xfire capabilities. But I would think if they put 2 slots on a new mobo that it would be able to use dual cards no problem. Anyone able to confirm this?

I hate the sabertooth. Its a fine board, just full of gimmicks (and I really dont like how it looks with that 'armor' on it). While Im sure it would be fine, I would hit up the MVG well before the Sabertooth.

Check the mobo MFG website to confirm what it supports. Most support both, but not all.

I think I will go with the MVG, just looks better, imo, and has everything. I also read on the site it should be fine with dual cards. So I shouldn't have any problems there.

The mvg will work fine with dual cards as long as they are two slot coolers. Triple slot wont fit.

What is a good mobo that would fit a triple slot cards but is no larger than standard ATX? If there is a standard ATX that can handle dual trple slot cards? lol

Only reason I ask about the triple slot is because it seems the MSI 7970 PE and Lightning are both single link DVI, from what I can gather, which won't support higher resolutions. Don't want to get too much into talking about them here but that is my main problem/concern about the MSI cards.

Kind of wish i could afford a slightly bigger case and an E-ATX mobo, they have tons of headers and ports for everything, would be nice. lol

Crap thats right... Damn.. you cant win can you? :( :p

That almost puts you back to a different 7970 or the 680.

lol Doesn't seem like it. i go one step forward and two steps back. But you know what i will do. I will make a system list with I guess the components i have in my sig and one with a bigger case, mobo and better card and see how much money I can get from selling things and doing odd jobs. That way i have something to fall back on if i don't reach my main goal of bigger and better. Or i can just keep saving and wait another month or two and just get the bigger system anyway since that is probably what I will be msot happy with.

I hate the sabertooth. Its a fine board, just full of gimmicks (and I really dont like how it looks with that 'armor' on it). While Im sure it would be fine, I would hit up the MVG well before the Sabertooth.

Check the mobo MFG website to confirm what it supports. Most support both, but not all.

No gimmicks bro, just the coolest running board on the planet, without a loop, without a doubt. You see, until you've experienced true thermal radar and its capabilities, you just don't know, and what I like best about it how you don't need a fan controller to adjust fan speed settings. You simply connect your fans to the several perimeter points around the board and the thermal radar adjust the fan speeds according to however you push it, which means when you're idle or browsing the forum (like most OCers do), you don't have to listen to fans screaming at full throttle, or spend your time adjusting the dials.

Its not a leap of faith, its for real.
Hate is such an ugly word, but sure has strong influence.:rain:

I don't need to own it. I read a couple reviews on it. They say the same thing (gimmicky). It may cool the board a couple c with a fan on, but other boards do fine without it. There are better boards in its price range. Its expensive for what ut really is.

Most boards u connect fans to the headers and control them that way. Not a remotely an exclusive feature. Also I never have to change fan speeds on my daily driver. Quiet as heck where they are set...(1k rpm) even overclocked (4.6Ghz) I dont touch them..

So far I havent heard anything that sets thus boars apart from the rest or why I would pay a premium for 'armor'. Don't believe the hype. ;)

Last edited:
I keep seeing around the interwebs, people saying the MVG has a high DOA rate, has anyone else heard about this? or am i being paranoid?

Back