• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Splicing Cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TehYoyo

Hey all. I have a non-modular PSU that I'm sleeving. One of the connectors is a dual 6-pin that splits exactly like how molex connectors look(after the first 6-pin, a cable runs out of the connector into the second connector.

I have 18-gauge wire. Can I strip the insulation at the beginning of the connector and run a 6-pin connector out of that? (By soldering together the copper part of the 18-gauge wire)

Thanks.
TehYoyo

Yeah, that should be fine.
Be sure to shrink wrap the solder joint, solder joints are weak mechanically speaking.

I was thinking about this again - won't that cause the power to be rerouted to the cable I just spliced? Or will it split it evenly?

Thanks,
TehYoyo

The power will go where ever it is easiest to go. (Much like water)
That will depend on what is plugged into the cables, not the splices though.
Electrically speaking there is no difference between the two cables being connected inside the connector and them being connected just outside the connector.

It's cheaper to manufacture, and more durable, with them inside the connector. Hence that's where the manufacturers put the splice.

Back