• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need insight and advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ballzacs

I have a MSI laptop i was looking to overclock. I've been looking forward to the game Guild Wars 2 coming out and want to make sure I can run the game with the highest FPS ect.

I've looked into my BIOS and was going to up my CPU and voltage but for some reason when i go into BIOS i can't find where to up my CPU and voltage; I just need some help on how to take the MSI and turn it into the meanest it can be with its hardware. There should be a DxDiag attached to this post so you guys can see what exactly im working with.

Thanks in advance,
Zac

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    22.5 KB · Views: 63
Overclocking laptops usually isn't the best idea, the cooling system inside of them often can't handle the extra load. Many laptops don't have any overclocking options, or have them disabled in the BIOS as well.

Overclocking laptops usually isn't the best idea, the cooling system inside of them often can't handle the extra load. Many laptops don't have any overclocking options, or have them disabled in the BIOS as well.

Right, i understand the cooling sytem cant keep up; But if i have a external cooling system to keep the motherboard cool. would it be possible?

External cooling system? If you're talking about the laptop cooling pads, they don't really do much. There's just a relatively small amount of metal on that CPU compared to a desktop heatsink.

It's possible that your laptop came with an upgrade option for a higher TDP CPU, meaning that there is additional cooling headroom. Check your current temperatures, you might be lucky.

External cooling system? If you're talking about the laptop cooling pads, they don't really do much. There's just a relatively small amount of metal on that CPU compared to a desktop heatsink.

It's possible that your laptop came with an upgrade option for a higher TDP CPU, meaning that there is additional cooling headroom. Check your current temperatures, you might be lucky.

This laptop is a scrap laptop; as in dont really care what happens to it. So i could rip the bottom of it off and hook up some fans and blocks that will let a ton of airflow in it. I understand the dangers of melting, burning, killing this thing. How can i run it hard as hell?

yea i agree i wouldn't mess with trying to overclock it, components are just to tightly packed in them and you'll end up cooking something in it,also it is unlikely you will be able to find a unlocked copy of bios for your laptop if there was one even made for it.

Gotcha. Then to get overclocking options, you either need to find a modified BIOS for the laptop, or see if a program like SetFSB would work.

well yea if you dont care about ruining it tear it apart and see what you have inside try to get a model number off the motherboard used and see if you can find some bios to flash on it=)

Gotcha. Then to get overclocking options, you either need to find a modified BIOS for the laptop, or see if a program like SetFSB would work.

Very new to this; where would i start looking for modded BIOS or SetFSB?

If you are going to try to overclock, remember that you need to 1: Make sure your bios has overclocking capabilities. 2: If your bios needs flashing, you will need to find the exact Motherboard model, and bios version you currently have and the version you need. And 3: perchase a better heatsink if your current can't handle the extra load.
Also take into account your laptop will be a lot louder than it is now, which can sometimes be very annoying while you are gaming. And I noticed in your dxdiag file that your freqentcy for your cpu is only at 1.9ghz. The makers of the laptop and cpu set that for best cooling and quiet perdormance. Just a thought!

Back