• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smoke coming from CMOS Reset Headers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x86cam

Hi, I have an ASUS P8H61-M Motherboard with an Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz processor, and 8GB Corsair RAM.

I have all the parts necessary to get it to boot up, but it just won't POST. Turn on and then in a split second, turn off.

So, I contacted ASUS, and thay asked me to clear the CMOS. I tried, but I didn't think it worked.

Then I tried watching a video on how to do it.

It appears that there are Headers that clear it.

I tried doing that.

The computer stayed on, but it didn't POST, no beeps, only fans, no output.

I tried again, but instead with a screwdriver, like how I boot up my computer without a power button.

FORMAT OF HEADERS:
Jumper origin here
V
[| |] |
-----------

Then I accidentally hit the third one with the screwdriver and I saw smoke.

I turned it off right away.

I am too scared to even touch the motherboard now.

Is my motherboard ok?

Take out everything except the CPU/cooler, one stick of RAM, and the PSU. Run off the onboard video, and then see if it'll post.

An H61 board? It's possible that you might need to flash the BIOS to get support for Ivy Bridge CPUs. Did ASUS support say anything about that?

when you did the cmos reset, did you unplug it from the wall and remove the battery?
these two things really need to be done to reset the cmos.

Need at least BIOS revision 3605. Not sure how to check the revision without getting it to post. And you need a working CPU in there to be able to flash it.

Need at least BIOS revision 3605. Not sure how to check the revision without getting it to post. And you need a working CPU in there to be able to flash it.

I have a 2008 Intel Pentium Dual Core, but it isnt a 1155 socket.

You probably need a BIOS flash for the CPU you are trying to use like the others are trying to tell you. Contact ASUS support and see if they will send you a new BIOS chip or your can buy one. www.biosman.com

You probably need a BIOS flash for the CPU you are trying to use like the others are trying to tell you. Contact ASUS support and see if they will send you a new BIOS chip or your can buy one. www.biosman.com

Where can I find the BIOS chip on an EFI bios motherboard (ASUS P8H61-M (NO LE))?

Should be here, check the markings on the chip.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 170
Back