• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat issues with Asus Rampage III Formula & i7-950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Floobie

Hardware
Asus Rampage III Formula
Intel i7-950
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU Cooler

Issues
When I purchased my system in October of 2010 I was able to run it at 3.8-4.0GHz Overclocked and had idle temperatures around 42C with load ~68, so it was all in the green. But when Summer of 2011 came around, the ambient temperature was too high (in a house with no AC) so I disabled the overclocking.

We moved this summer and are now getting situated and I was looking to re-OC the system and was very surprised to find the idle non-OC'd temp was ~42-45. I checked all the fans, cleaned the system out; all looked fine. I pulled the CPU cooler off, cleaned properly, verified seating, re-applied the arctic silver 5, and STILL run ~40-44C idle at no OC. Ventilation in the case is just fine. At this point I am lost and have no idea why my temps are so high. I also upgraded the BIOS just in case it was a sensor reporting error.

Note I've used RealTemp, SpeedFan, AISuite and the BIOS to verify the temps are high.

Any ideas what could be going on? I just build 2 new 1155 LGA 4.5 GHz systems and they purr like kittens with great temps (been doing this awhile).

I admit I'm stuck scratching my head on this one...

Hey Redduc; I have 1.264v @ 3.2GHz and 0.944v @ 1.6GHz. Idle core temps in a room that's ~76-78F are 42/37/42/38.

Those are the core temp's w/ the Vcore at .944V? And when Turbo kicks the multiplier from x23 to x24 = 3.2GHz, the Vcore of 1.264V is way too high for that clock. It shouldn't need more than the VID of ~1.12V or less for only a ~140MHz overclock.

Yes, those are the "idle" core temps @ 1.6Ghz, but when it jumps to 3.2GHz it doesn't raise all that much.

Odd, I'm using all the default settings for the motherboard; any idea why the MB is setting the voltage for 3.2GHz @ 1.264?

So what should the default voltage range be for 3.2GHz, and then for 4.0GHz?

You can probably hit 4.0GHz w/ HT enabled at ~1.275 - 1.30V or less. Try disabling Turbo and manually adjust the BCLK from 133 to 140 = ~3.2GHz. Adjust the DRAM frequency to a value at or below your modules rated value, for example DDR3-1400 (x10 DRAM mult.) if using DDR3-1600, and the four primary DRAM timings and DRAM voltage to match what the modules are rated at. Lastly manually adjust the Vcore to 1.12V, and leave everything else set to Auto.

Back