• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold boot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheezit

Hi,
I have recently had my first build and after about a few weeks of use I had problems cold booting. I have solved it by unplugging my CPU power cable and plugging it back in.
My specs are
AMD Fx-4100 @3.6Ghz
ASUS M5A78L m lx plus
mkiii 600W psu
I want to know if the PSU is broken or what
Thanks,. Cheezit

Please describe in detail what "problems cold booting" actually means. There are literally hundreds to thousands of things happening at boot time and without a decent description we cant even begin to help solve your issue.

Sorry

Sorry,
When I turn it on the fans come on just no signal and no beep from the cpu

Do you have a multimeter?
If so, test the 12v (yellow) 5v (red) and 3.3v (orange) wires at a Molex and/or the motherboard connector when you've turned the PSU on and it isn't booting.
A more detailed guide can be found in my signature.

I would be fairly surprised if it was the PSU at fault, partly because I've reviewed that unit and found it to be good, and partly because that'd be an awfully strange PSU issue.
That said, the PSU is probably the place to start.

I know you said hardware monitor is crap, but right now I don't own a multimeter. The hardware monitor said that Vcore is 1.44(?) 3.3 is at 3.363, 5 is at 4.95, and 12 is at 12.105. I think that's good, maybe the 5 should not be under 5?

That's all good enough if it's accurate. The difficulty is that you can't get HWMonitor data when the computer is failing to boot :D

The computer will boot when I take out the cord from my psu to my cpu, and what should I try next?

Back