• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st High End build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

W00D

Greetings all!
About 2 weeks ago I built my first (what I consider) higher tier build, namely for gaming (current GW2, beta testing PS2).
The current rig is:
Intel 3770K (Ivy Bridge)
ASRock Z77 Pro 4 Mobo
EVGA GTX670 2Gb FTW LE
8Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
128Gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (OS)
1Tb Seagate HDD (All other files)
Thermaltake 750w Smart PSU

Alright, with that out of the way, I'm wondering how to go about getting a modest OC out of the system. I've noticed in CPU-Z that the CPU runs at 1.6Ghz (Which from what I've read is the factory idle while it has no load), so I went into the BIOS (which has that ASRock skin over it) and changed "All Cores" to a 35 ratio, hoping to bypass that factory idle, but it still sits at that 1.6 until I start loading programs. Anyway to eliminate this completely?
My second question is:
Being the CPU from the factory runs at 3.5Ghz with up to a 3.9Ghz Turbo boost, can I set the Ratio up to 3.9Ghz and run it that way all the time? Possibly higher? I'm new to OCing (So I'm not sure if I need to adjust voltage or anything) if I hadnt stated that before and I really dont want to go and brick my system :/ Any help will be much appreciated, especially those that know the ASRock BIOS interface (or the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility, which is the in Windows BIOS adjuster).

Thanks in advance all!
-Wood

Gotta disable EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology) and Intel Turbo Mode. Also disable any C-states/Sleep-states. Where the options are should be in your motherboard manual.

That's a very meh PSU, but wattage is overkill, so it should be fine. The motherboard is also a 4+2 phase system, the basic. It might be fine for overclocking, but you might want to keep an eye on the VRM temperature (the heatsink on the motherboard right above the CPU).

Gotta disable EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology) and Intel Turbo Mode. Also disable any C-states/Sleep-states. Where the options are should be in your motherboard manual.

That's a very meh PSU, but wattage is overkill, so it should be fine. The motherboard is also a 4+2 phase system, the basic. It might be fine for overclocking, but you might want to keep an eye on the VRM temperature (the heatsink on the motherboard right above the CPU).

Adding to this: That is how you stop it from dropping to 1.6 and lowering the voltage but locking things at ~4.2-4.6 (moderate OC for an IVY) is a bad idea unless you are having stability issues. It saves power and keeps heat down.

Set your response to fastest you can in BIOS, lower your turbo A to 110 and raise your turbo watts a hair. Set LLC where you need it to run stable - not max unless you need it and use those power saving tools to your advantage.

I say set your clock at 4.4 and turbo it up to 4.7. This should keep temps in the 70-80 range and under 105 in stress testing.

Also turn heat pipes perpendicular to the CORE as it will (can if you dont have exposed pipes) give a few degrees of overhead.

Alright I went in and disabled the SpeedStep, disabled C-State, but it wont allow me to highlight the Turbo option. it does however have built in Optimized Overlock settings, to which I'm beginning at 4.0 to see how it handles. The 1.6 still pops and it wont idle any higher, but I dont see any other options to raise the base. But as Archer suggested, its possibly better that way? That its not over working itself under no load and I've simply increased the ceiling at which the boost runs? it's only running at about 51-52C at 4.0, so i'll give it a go and see how it performs and bump it up permitting the temps allow it. If I'm not understanding it correctly by all means correct me :D thanks guys.

the 1.6 and lowered voltage are good things. They will help keep the CPU cooler. Just play with it, watch the temps and take it to your self imposed limit.

Back