• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In a cooling dilemma, need opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Media

So as the diagrams show, there are two different ways for doing this. Now, the "Ideal" cooling is the usual flow where air is sucked from the front and heat towards the back. Well for those of us who use the Corsair H100, that's not really the ideal way of cooling because cool air is sucked from the front, warmed up, than the warm air is pushed through the H100 Radiator thus making the liquid warm and not having the optimal cooling.

SO... my idea is to draw cool air from the top where the H100 is, down into the case, and also draw cool air with the top-rear fan into the case which is than pushed out by the side and front fans? What do you guys think?

My parts:
Carbide 400R,
3-Stock Fans,
2-Corsair SP120 2450rpm 120mm fans
Corsair H100 CPU Cooler.

Ideal Cooling Flow

IdealCooling.jpg

My Cooling Flow

MyCooling.jpg

I see.. Can't get that warm right? Plus the two side fans are pretty close to the top of the case to help cool that H100 down

I can see doing that if you were trying to squeeze every last mhz out of your system but the reality is you will find a 24/7 overclock and leave it. Go with the flow and the heat rises thing (though that isn't really prevalent) and call it a day. :)

Im running the I5 2600K at 5ghz with tempretures round 17-23c. And Im using that exact airflow you have in mind so I dont see any reason why you shouldn't.

I have two rads: 120*1 with fans in push pull (2*120mm) and a second 120*2 also with fans in push pull (4*120mm). This including another 4*120mm fans on the inside for internal circulation giving me the optimal positive airflow in my HAF912. It's a BEAST when it comes to gaming but it sounds like a beast as well. Dounds like you in the warzone :) !!! Im thinking of getting anti rattle fittings and other silencing things soon though...

Im running the I5 2600K at 5ghz with tempretures round 17-23c. And Im using that exact airflow you have in mind so I dont see any reason why you shouldn't.

I have two rads: 120*1 with fans in push pull (2*120mm) and a second 120*2 also with fans in push pull (4*120mm). This including another 4*120mm fans on the inside for internal circulation giving me the optimal positive airflow in my HAF912. It's a BEAST when it comes to gaming but it sounds like a beast as well. Dounds like you in the warzone :) !!! Im thinking of getting anti rattle fittings and other silencing things soon though...

What is this whole push/pull thing I keep hearing about. Is that when you have four fans on the radiator? Curious which way to set the fans on the rad. Bolt the rad to the case, than fans underneath? Or bolt the fans to the case, and rad underneath? Is that the whole push/pull thing?

Push means the air is pushing air through the rad (rad is mounted on the exhaust side of the fan). Pull means the fan is pulling air through the rad (rad is mounted to the intake of the fan). Push/pull means your running fans on either side of it.

If your running two fans, you typically go push.

Push means the air is pushing air through the rad (rad is mounted on the exhaust side of the fan). Pull means the fan is pulling air through the rad (rad is mounted to the intake of the fan). Push/pull means your running fans on either side of it.

If your running two fans, you typically go push.

Push & Pull must have have a significant decrease in temps than right?

Only if the fans were low-static pressure to start with. Really only a few degrees, maybe 2-4C. Not really worth the increase in noise.

Only if the fans were low-static pressure to start with. Really only a few degrees, maybe 2-4C. Not really worth the increase in noise.

The SP120 fans I got say High Static Pressure fans. What do you suggest? Push or pull?

2000RPM, I believe. The design of the fan matters just as much as the RPM though in terms of noise.

Yeah, and what I hear, owners of the H100 buy two other 120mm fans and slap those on instead of the stock H100 fans and they use the H100 fans for the case lol which I am going to do

That doesn't solve anything...the stock H100 fans perform well, they're just loud. If you run them as case fans...they're still going to be loud.

That doesn't solve anything...the stock H100 fans perform well, they're just loud. If you run them as case fans...they're still going to be loud.

Oh yeah that's what it was, the noise. Maybe leaving it on the H100 would be quieter since its on on the side of the case :D

Back