• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some questions in mind

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

is it possible to overclock the AMD Phenom 1090t to beat the i7?

is it really true that the Bulldozer gets really hot? whats the avg temp for you owners of the bulldozers?

also, i was trying to understand why the bulldozer failed, but all i can understand is that

1. too many cores in the tiny chip

2. something about all cores sharing the same cache

3. not much improvement on the core itself.

can anyone put in a nutshell why the bulldozer "failed"?

is it possible to overclock the AMD Phenom 1090t to beat the i7? >> = NO.

is it really true that the Bulldozer gets really hot? >> = YES, if forced to run at a high speed continually.
whats the avg temp for you owners of the bulldozers? >> = It depends on how high the cpu is clocked continuously and how many cores the CPU has and on what is use for cooling. So there is not a real answer there. WE try to keep the CPU CORE TEMPS at <60c and the CPU TEMP at <70c.

also, i was trying to understand why the bulldozer failed, >> =Not so sure it is 'failed'.
but all i can understand is that

1. too many cores in the tiny chip

2. something about all cores sharing the same cache

3. not much improvement on the core itself.

can anyone put in a nutshell why the bulldozer "failed"? >> = so not being so sure it failed but rather that it took too long to get to market with 'way too much pre-release hype', there was an air of disappointment when it was finally released. That has been somewhat overcome as users actually use the 4 thru 8 core BullDozer cpus.

RGone pretty much hit the nail on the head with his answers. The FX CPU's never really failed they just failed to live up to the hype that AMD cultivated for the chip. I think you will see a better showing for the FX Architecture in the upcoming Piledriver and steamroller releases in the next year or so.

AMD has put most of their eggs in the basket of turning out CPUs with more cores to the neglect of improving per core performance. This is a good strategy for server applications and things like AV encoding which benefit from many cores. Most applications, however, can effectively use only 2-4 cores so the 6 and 8 core AMD CPUs potential is largely wasted. Intel, on the other hand, has poured their energy and resources into improving per core performance. Maybe AMD anticipated that software companies would implement multi-threading more than they actually have.

Having said that, AMD is now beginning to divert much of their energy and resources to the development of APU processors (e.g. Llano) which may prove to be an effective market strategy for main stream computing as opposed to the enthusiast segment (most of us here at OC Forums).

I don't see bulldozer as a failure, it performed as marketed. outside windows with the right software the things will crunch numbers with the best of them.
I,for one believe that the heat issues are due to two things.
#1, the cpu is so small that conducting through such a small contact patch to ambient temp water is just so hard to do.

#2, some of us just are not up to the task of knowing how to move that much heat.

Back