• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 2nd Generation question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ketchap

Hello, I really need some help to complete some information, my teacher gave me a homework about which motherboard is able to switch processors (i3 to i5 to i7 only 2nd generation) whenever I want to upgrade my pc.

I did some research about this but I am not sure, one friend told me that I had to look for motherboards with socket LGA1155 with chipset h61, b75 and z77 (support 2nd generation), but forget about the old ones like p67, z68 and db65.

Please correct me if there is something wrong with this, because some minutes ago when I almost finishing my homework I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155, and there it shows 2nd generation chipsets like: B65, H61 Q67, H67, P67, Z68 that can be used on a socket LGA1155, and 3rd generation chipsets like: B75, Q75, Q77, H77, Z75, Z77. I'm confuse...

All LGA 1155 boards support 2nd generation CPUs. Chipsets where the second character is a 7 support 3rd generation Core I CPUs. Some motherboards where the second character is a 6 also support 3rd generation CPUs if the manufacturer released a BIOS update for the specific board.

Trick question, that. Almost all LGA1155 motherboards support i3/i5/i7 2nd gen Intel Core i chips.
There are a few that are limited to low TDP chips, those are the exceptions.

All LGA 1155 boards support 2nd generation CPUs. Chipsets where the second character is a 7 support 3rd generation Core I CPUs. Some motherboards where the second character is a 6 also support 3rd generation CPUs if the manufacturer released a BIOS update for the specific board.

Thank you very much for the fast reply Knufire, please can you tell me how can I find a list of all Intel Desktop Board that supports only 2nd generation CPUs (with the posibilty of switching processors i3 to i5 to i7), I am sorry for my bad english, I don't really know how to explaing this in an easier way.

Trick question, that. Almost all LGA1155 motherboards support i3/i5/i7 2nd gen Intel Core i chips.
There are a few that are limited to low TDP chips, those are the exceptions.

Thank you, I just used wikipedia to understand what is a TDP (I'm really new at this), the problem is that my teacher also want me to give him a list of all 2nd generation motherboards which support (i3 or i5 or i7) with some specs, I was looking for them in the intel web page, but I got so many different chipsets and I dont know if they are 2nd or 3rd generation.

Erm, all the mainboards?
That's something like 100+ boards.

Most (all?) of the third generation motherboards support second generation CPUs, just to complicate matters.

Erm, all the mainboards?
That's something like 100+ boards.

Most (all?) of the third generation motherboards support second generation CPUs, just to complicate matters.

Hmm, all the mainboards that support 2nd generation (not 3rd) CPUs where you can change processors i3 to i5 to i7 in the same motherboards (only LGA1155 right?). I hope you can understand, I am sorry, I only speak spanish.

Basicamente lo que necesitas son mothers de chipset h61, h67, p67 que no tengan opcion de actualizar bios y soportar cpus Ivy bridge.
Me fijo y te respondo...

EDIT: Apparently most boards will support Ivy bridge cpu's with or without a bios update. So what your teacher asks is really hard to find, and makes little to no sense at all.
Podes generalizar si es para un trabajo practico, pero la verdad es que no hace a tu conocimiento de informatica que hagas una lista enorme de modelos de mother de mil marcas.
Si necesitas algo mas avisa.

Last edited:
Basicamente lo que necesitas son mothers de chipset h61, h67, p67 que no tengan opcion de actualizar bios y soportar cpus Ivy bridge.
Me fijo y te respondo...

EDIT: Apparently most boards will support Ivy bridge cpu's with or without a bios update. So what your teacher asks is really hard to find, and makes little to no sense at all.
Podes generalizar si es para un trabajo practico, pero la verdad es que no hace a tu conocimiento de informatica que hagas una lista enorme de modelos de mother de mil marcas.
Si necesitas algo mas avisa.

thanks ivanlabrie, I couldnt use my pc for so long (working and studying a lot), now my eyes are sore for some reason and I will go to the doctor, anyway, you really help me out, I did my work with some of the chipset h61 h67 and p67, and I guess I got a good score for it, gracias compa!

thanks ivanlabrie, I couldnt use my pc for so long (working and studying a lot), now my eyes are sore for some reason and I will go to the doctor, anyway, you really help me out, I did my work with some of the chipset h61 h67 and p67, and I guess I got a good score for it, gracias compa!

No prob! Now you gotta oc your cpu and bench :bday:

Back