• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux client on FreeBSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KFB

i want to run folding on FreeBSD. has anyone done it?
i have freeBSD 4.5-GENERIC kernel with the linux compatibility libraries running. here's the error message:

ELF Binary type "0" not known.
Abort

calling all gurus, thanks in advance.

If you cant get it to work then perhaps emailing the F@H team and asking for a FreeBSD client may be the answer?

yeah, or maybe i'll have to give up on Folding in FreeBSD and run some flavor of linux.

Kentucky Fried Bird said:
yeah, or maybe i'll have to give up on Folding in FreeBSD and run some flavor of linux.

Could you not run linux inside a VMWare VM or WIndows in side VMWare?

i have never used VMWare. i'll probabky try it out soon though. good idea, as usu. PenguinFreak.
Vijay has confirmed what kendan said.
if they would release the source then i could have compiled it myself. sooner or later i'm gonna have to see the source on the client or my paranoia is going to require that i stop folding. its not paranoia when i am blindly donating my cpu's clock cycles to a binary whose source is undisclosed.

edit: maybe that is a bit harsh. i mean i do run Windows
and many other executables whose source i never see...
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Kentucky Fried Bird said:
i have never used VMWare. i'll probabky try it out soon though. good idea, as usu. PenguinFreak.
Vijay has confirmed what kendan said.
if they would release the source then i could have compiled it myself. sooner or later i'm gonna have to see the source on the client or my paranoia is going to require that i stop folding. its not paranoia when i am blindly donating my cpu's clock cycles to a binary whose source is undisclosed.

edit: maybe that is a bit harsh. i mean i do run Windows
and many other executables whose source i never see...
:rolleyes:

I agree that Folding@Home should be open source, but I think that portions of it aren't owned by the F@H team.

Back