• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All USB Peripherals Randomly Stop Working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColbyM

Registered
As stated in the title, my USB peripherals will randomly stop working as if they've been unplugged. It's happened 4 times so far and the only way to bring them back is to reboot. At first it seemed to only happen during gaming sessions but then I had it happen while web browsing and listening to music in VLC. The peripherals I have connected are as follows: Logitech G930 Headset, Logitech G700 Mouse, and Razor BlackWidow mechanical gaming keyboard (one without the lit keys). I can't figure out why it could be happening and its starting to really frustrate me because I keep having problem after problem with this basically brand new build. I fixed my constant crashes by removing a stick of faulty RAM.

Thanks for any help.

Are you running stock or are you overclocked? How have you tested the system for stability after removing the RAM stick? Do the Windows events show anything at the time it stops working? Have you tried unplugging all USB devices, except for the mouse/keyboard? Do you have another mouse/keyboard you could try temporarily?

I'm guessing it is one of the following:
1) Instability
2) A device causing a crash
3) Windows install issue (could be related to 1)
4) Faulty hardware

I am at stock speeds. I haven't tested stability with any sort of software but I haven't had a BSOD since I removed the stick. Whenever the USB hardware stops working everything else is fine and continues without any error or acknowledgement that no input/output devices are present. For example: I was (re)playing Bastion when my periphs stopped working and 'The Kid' kept walking off the side of the world like I was still pressing the 'D' key even though I wasn't. Hope this is enough info, Thanks!

I'm having the basic, same issue. During games, the keyboard and mouse intermittently freeze. For example, I keep moving forward ('w') even if the key isn't pressed. Mouse will freeze so I can't look around or shoot. The freezes last 1-3 seconds...enough to be frustrated and pretty much suck horribly.

Using Cyborg RAT 7 mouse and Razer BlackWidow keyboard. Also tried with other wired keyboards and mice...same issue.

Everything's running nice and stable. Tried with just the mouse and keyboard plugged in (battery backup and headphone emitter not plugged in). Tried stock and overclocked...no difference. Tried switching from an Aero view to classic...nada. Event viewer's not showing anything. Getting frustrated!

Any ideas? Googling turns up a bunch of stuff but I don't think I've got a malware infection, should have plenty of power (running a 1200w psu with the 3dv rig in my sig), it's not aero.

Last edited:
I am at stock speeds. I haven't tested stability with any sort of software but I haven't had a BSOD since I removed the stick. Whenever the USB hardware stops working everything else is fine and continues without any error or acknowledgement that no input/output devices are present. For example: I was (re)playing Bastion when my periphs stopped working and 'The Kid' kept walking off the side of the world like I was still pressing the 'D' key even though I wasn't. Hope this is enough info, Thanks!
Unfortunately, that isn't a good indication of a stable system. A system can be stable enough to run an operating system, but crash while doing other tasks. So, a system that doesn't throw stop errors/blue screens can still be unstable. I would suggest using LinX to test for stability. You can download it from my website here since their download links don't work. Push the "All" button and hit start. It will take a few hours to finish. If it locks up, restarts, shuts down, blue screens (etc), you have some sort of stability problem.

What did your Windows event log say?

Is there any chance that LinX could harm anything on my computer? I don't have a whole lot of extra money to spend on replacements if something were to break. I used Furmark once and ended up frying a power supply after only 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, that isn't a good indication of a stable system. A system can be stable enough to run an operating system, but crash while doing other tasks. So, a system that doesn't throw stop errors/blue screens can still be unstable. I would suggest using LinX to test for stability. You can download it from my website here since their download links don't work. Push the "All" button and hit start. It will take a few hours to finish. If it locks up, restarts, shuts down, blue screens (etc), you have some sort of stability problem.

What did your Windows event log say?
My event log doesn't say anything. The mouse/kbd stick or go off for a second or two then go back on.

Am at stock and this is a clean build so not sure where the problem lays. Will run LinX tonight and respond back tomorrow. Thanks thideras!

I went for a short test just to see what my system would do and this was the result. I am guessing this is really not good. tZKcy.png

Is there any chance that LinX could harm anything on my computer? I don't have a whole lot of extra money to spend on replacements if something were to break. I used Furmark once and ended up frying a power supply after only 10 minutes.
I can't claim that it would never harm a computer. If it was on the verge of failing, this program could be capable of pushing it over the edge. But, if your system was that close to failing, it would have eventually stopped working by itself shortly. So, as long as you have sane settings (which obviously includes stock settings), then you shouldn't have any problem with it.

Since it crashed in that short amount of time, that is absolutely a stability problem. Reset your CMOS and try again. If that still doesn't work, pull all your sticks of RAM but one and try again. Report back. If you'd like "real time" responses, you can chat me directly. Information is in my profile.

I cleared my CMOS and ran LinX again for 3 minutes and it finished without any errors. I'll run it again for a bit longer and see what happens. What could potentially cause this instability? Is it incompatible or damaged hardware or just something that I mucked up in the BIOS by mistake?

I'll let you know how this test does after an hour or so. I very much appreciate your time and knowledge!

When you run LinX, make sure to click the "All" button in the center. Otherwise it does very short tests, which does not give you a good indication of how stable it is. It is also important that you do not use the computer for anything else, as processors cycles used for other programs means less for testing stability.

If resetting the CMOS fixes the problem, there was likely a setting causing it. If it is stable, we can change them back and continue testing.

Ok I restarted the test using all memory this time. Now that I've got an hour that I can't use my comp I guess I can study or something. :eek:

Finished without errors after 1 hour. I know this isn't long enough for a definitive stability test but I think I'll try it for a while and see if the problem still occurs. I thank you again for your help, I wouldn't have known what to do otherwise! :D

Compared to what you had, I think one hour is a substantial increase. When you have to leave the house, or if you sleep in a different room than your computer, let it run. Remember to hit "All" and set the number of runs higher so it doesn't finish.

Ugh....not looking good so far. Linx crashed in the overnight :( Started it running again this morning so will see when I get home. That said...running everything at stock/default (in my 3dv setup in my sig), what should I check first?

I would manually set the speeding, timings, and voltage of the memory to stock values. It might be trying to run it at the wrong speed/voltage.

How is it doing on temperature? Use CoreTemp while LinX is running.

I would manually set the speeding, timings, and voltage of the memory to stock values. It might be trying to run it at the wrong speed/voltage.

How is it doing on temperature? Use CoreTemp while LinX is running.

Thanks thideras. Yeah...it tries running the ram at 1600. Will try setting everything manually as well as trying with XMP. Thinking next step will be memtest.

Not in front of the pc but iirc temps max out around 60C (which seems kind of high given my cooling). May as well remove waterblock, clean, apply fresh thermal paste and reseat block.

Memtest is not as stressful as LinX, so I would stick with the tests you have been using.

umm...i had similar problems and all I needed to do was reinstall my USB drivers (MOBO chipset, actually). All my stuff would work at boot and through the finalization of the OS startup (i could move mouse cursor around while OS loaded. Once the OS was loaded, none of my USB, 2.0 or 3.0 would work. reloaded the CHipset drivers for the 2.0 and the stand-alone driver for the 3.0s and it has worked like a charm ever since.

just a thought...and easy to try.

Back