• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 2600k oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbieee

Hey all, first time here.

Basically I'm a newbie overclocker. I have an asrock p67 pro3 se and an i7 2600k. Now getting it 4.5 was easy! obviously, but when I push it to 4.6 it works for a while but then I get random BSOD's... not often, but it happens.... any higher than and I get no boot. I've searched everywhere and I can't find a good guide to get it higher. I have a havik 140 for cooling and it has never gotten close to 70.

Specs are attached

Guidance would be appreciated

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 220
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 210
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 214
For a 4.6 - 4.8GHz clock, figure in the neighborhood of 1.35 - 1.37 Vcore depending on the quality of your chip. But seeing as how you can hit a stable 4.5GHz at 1.27V, you should be able to hit 4.6GHz easily at 1.35V or lower combined w/ VCCIO at ~1.0V and VCCSA at ~0.9V. Set the DRAM frequency, DRAM voltage, and four primary timings manually, along w/ the Command Rate if available.

This reminds me it's almost time to turn up my OC since the fall and cooler temps are almost here

redduc900:I know this is maybe not the right time and place to ask a question my friend, but i have been watching you and your post's on CPU matters.
I have a i7-2700k running @ 4.3 MHz and a vcore @ 1.328volts is there any good reason to go any higher than this? Sorry for asking you on this thread.

redduc900:I know this is maybe not the right time and place to ask a question my friend, but i have been watching you and your post's on CPU matters.
I have a i7-2700k running @ 4.3 MHz and a vcore @ 1.328volts is there any good reason to go any higher than this? Sorry for asking you on this thread.
A Vcore of 1.328V seems high for a 2700K at 4.3Ghz. You should be able to hit 4.4 - 4.5GHz w/ only 1.30V or so, depending on the quality of your chip. You might want to post all of your current BIOS settings or screenshots for that clock, so we can see what everything else is set to.

Sorry for the late reply. I have voltage offset and I was under the impression I could not set a fixed voltage.

Attached are my BIOS settings.

I have not changed any of the RAM or advanced settings.

Attachments

• timings.JPG
    timings.JPG
    730.4 KB · Views: 152
  • basic2.JPG
    basic2.JPG
    693.8 KB · Views: 154
  • basic.JPG
    basic.JPG
    911.3 KB · Views: 170
  • timings2.JPG
    timings2.JPG
    679.6 KB · Views: 152
  • voltage.JPG
    voltage.JPG
    534.9 KB · Views: 174
  • voltage2.JPG
    voltage2.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 150
  • advanced.JPG
    advanced.JPG
    893.1 KB · Views: 150
Hey all, sorry to resurrect this old thread and for double posting. I am now trying to OC to 4.9 had kept getting 124 errors during the prime test. I increased turbo to +0.02v and I am now getting 9c errors during prime. So as it stand, my settings are:

+0.1v offset
+0.02v turbo
~1.7v PLL

During load I am getting 1.504 and temps approaching 80. I know 1.5 is a rather extreme, but I plan on reducing it once I get it stable @ 4.9

I am specifically interested to see if there are any other BIOS options I can change to help the OC, particularly with the 9c BSOD error.

I also wanted to get an ideas as to what people are using for the QPI/VTT setting? I currently have mine on auto, but setting it apparently helps with the 9c error.

Anyways, I'll keep tinkerings, thanks for any responses.

I have seen the pll voltage affect stability when on a really advanced oc. you could just try to vary that some up and down and see if it helps. my 2600k likes it at 1.734 from my asrock board. but my daughters 2500k likes 1.7500

I have seen the pll voltage affect stability when on a really advanced oc. you could just try to vary that some up and down and see if it helps. my 2600k likes it at 1.734 from my asrock board. but my daughters 2500k likes 1.7500

Aye, this is what I started to observe on my 3930k. I couldn't lower voltage when I decreased my PLL voltage, but I could clock just about 100MHz higher on the same voltage.
It made a large impact on stablity for me, and really all I did was lower it a few bumps haha.

Edit: You may simply be pushing too far witha 4.9 on that particular chip. Your Voltage and temps are approaching a somewhat dangerous level. Have you considered a 4.85~ OC? Performance scale per clock beyond 4.8 is pretty much null, save bragging rights :S

Thanks for the help, bumping up the PPL has got me stable at 4.9. I've gotten this far the quick and dirty way by maxing out the voltage... I will now try lowering voltages to get the sweet spot.

Cheers!

Yup, what the pros said. Personally I'd advise against using a 4.6 or higher overclock for daily use unless you really need the processing power, but for 4.6-4.8 a 1.32-1.35 vcore should be sufficient. Of course, results vary and you should make sure your OC is rock solid with Intel Burn Test and Prime95.

Back