• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking my 8120 since i got watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YAMA187

i was learning more about overclocking a while ago. and we came to realize that i needed a better cooling solution. so i just finished the loop last night and im ready to learn again. \

but here is the issue. after i put the loop in the start ups for my pc have just been slow. its been running my games slow. and i think this is because my bios got reset. so i want to make sure everything is where i needs to be,

so i put everything in my bios back to what i remembered it being. i think i missed a couple things.

i left the memory at auto.

cpuuues.jpg

cpuuuueeed.jpg

cpuzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Last edited:
Your memory is good to 800Mhz... change that... though I doubt it will make much of a difference.

Can you elaborate on 'startup is slow'? Did you disable un needed controllers and such?

yeah i went throught hat start up stuff about a week ago and got rid of the unneeded junk. and start ups where quicker.

by start up i mean when i enter my password till the time everything is loaded in. and on my game the frame rates dropped. last time this happened i reset the bios. and them it worked fine. but i guess restting again screwed it up

You might for giggles make sure that tRC is set to 35 or 37 as your SPD reads out and not the 26 as shown in your "memory tab" capture.

the memory doesnt want to stay at 800mhz. it changes depending on what i have it overclocked to. right now my cpu is at 4.0 and it says my mem is at 458 mhz

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

also i get low frame rates in guild wars 2 until about 15-20 minutes into playing. then it shoots up into the 30's the eventually the 40's.
what bugs me about it is that i get the same frame rates on max settings that i do on low settings

The memory speed is TIED to the FSB, so that raising or lowering the FSB raises and lowers the ram speed to what ever the FSB times the memory multiplier equals.

CPUz memory tab shows the ram bus speed at 458mhz so it is running only at DDR916 which is pretty slow and could make most applications seem slow as well.

Since you just switched to water I'd assume your looking for max CPU clocks, right?

If thats the case...
Then just set the HTref @ stock (200), set your memory and IMC (CPU/NB) @ stock and do the rough adjustments using the CPU multi and voltage.
You can always come back and adjust the mem and IMC once you know the limits of your CPU/Cooling... :)

Keep an eye on your temps though (socket temp <70c / core temps <56c) under Prime load.

The real trick to getting the best tune on FX chips is to find the limits of each component seperately and then bring them all up close to their limits while keeping temps in check... :thup:

HWMonitor, and Prime95 will be your friends when OC'ing. If you don't have those programs you should get them for testing.

Hope this helps...... Dave

Your temps look good. Have you tried lower Vcore?
Some chips are sensitive to electromigration at higher v's which will cause failures just as fast as not enough voltage.

I'm also not so sure about the OC potential of your motherboard... :(
Make sure you disable the IGP (graphics) portion of the 880G northbridge, that may help.

Boards with the best OC potential are using the 9xx series chipsets and if you'll notcie there aren't any with IGP's. Theres probably a reason for that... ;)

WOW! Vcore at 1.5!. Are you trying to start a fire?

Dude, like the others have said. start from the beginning. You are changing everything to get this to work. The 8120 is very, very OC friendly. I suggest you reset your cmos and start slow. You can get your chip up to 4.2 easily just by screwing with the multiplier. then add a "hint' (not a "hammer" of Vcore to go farther. Like it or not, the fx series is set to run memory at 1333, but is tested to OC to 1600. Going beyond that means you are now messing with voltages. wait till you get your CPU under control, but you can easily set your Mem to 1600 with no trouble. Dont mess with your 200 FSB (you HAVE to be using AMD Overdrive to do this, I'm guessing). Don't mess with HT or NB clocks or volts.

Baby steps. It seems like some of these guys take ages to get their rigs tuned. They know what they are talking about when they say start simple (Multiplier and a bit of VCore).

No no no. My Vcore is definetly not at 1.5 I took that screenshot after or during a prime95 test. I have it raised 1 increment from stock settings. It's at 1.353125 and it seemed to make all the difference

Back