• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LouisOUFC

Hello all. Ok here's the situation I'm in, Im pretty stressed at the moment and I didnt know where else to turn!

A few years ago I purchased a Dell XPS 630 At great expense to myself! :(
I kind of regret it as I feel since buying it I've never been fully impressed with it's performance, certain games I can play on full graphics and been fine and certain games I can hardly play on low!

My Specs are as follows:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Processor Q9550 (2.83Ghz, 1333MHz FSB, 12MB cache)

4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]

Hard Drive 1TB NCQ SATA (2x500GB) 7200Rpm Dual HDD Config Raid 0 Stripe

Single 1GB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ GTX285 graphics card

PCI Card Ageia PhysX 128MB

Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to computers I dont really understand what lots of things mean! I bought Guild Wars 2 with the final bit of money I had left the other day, expecting it to be brilliant I ran my computer on CanYouRunIt and I was miles above what was required, I got Guild Wars 2 and I just noticed that It really wasnt as smooth as I'd like it to be and that was on Medium I was averaging 20/25 FPS and as soon as **** hit the fan so to speak I'd drop down to around 10FPS, I was really gutted. If I could afford it I'd replace parts, but I dont really know what I'm replacing or what it would do. I have a feeling its the processor letting it down but thats a hunch. Regardless I'd love to give overclocking my processor a try to see if it made any difference. I have the Stock Fans that came with the computer so I guess if I was to overclock it to 3.2 It would be ok. I've read various guides and spent the last few hours sitting here just staring blankly at them after reading them over and over again and still being confused, so I thought you guys could help me out!

These are some pictures I took I thought would help you guys using CPU-Z

Computer%20Stats.jpg

So if theres anyway you guys can help me overclock my system or if it should be that slow then please help me out. Thanks in advanced, Louis.

oem pc's down allow ocing in the bios unless you got an extreme cpu with just unlocked multi's. i would suggest pad modding but considering the chipset on the motherboard you may not be able to go to 400mhz from 333mhz. your only option would be new motherboard and maybe new ram as well.

might just consider getting a higher clock quad core or just building a new pc. finding good lga775 parts is going to be a bit hard esp if your looking to go on the cheap side. alot of people are still willing to pay a decent amount, that is from looking on ebay.

You have a Dell computer, you won't be doing any overclocking. It is restricted via the motherboard from the manufacturer.

Back