• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official iPhone 5 Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
I came here looking to see people's opinions on the new iPhone, but maybe the lack of interest is a statement within itself. The phone looks solid, but it feels like apple is playing more of catch up than being an innovator that they once were. LTE, Larger Screen, Faster Processor, Better Camera are not really ground breaking in the ways of smartphones these days. What is everyone else's opinion on the phone? Are you underwhelmed, truly excited, or have a mixed emotions.

I agree that they are pretty much playing catch up and doing things that people expected a full year ago at the 4S launch. Meh I switched from a 3G to an android (s2 skyrocket) and love it.

^ Bah! :D I'm gettin the 5. Most excited about the 44% bump in color saturation to reach sRGB, along with a few small camera tweaks. I take hundreds of photos on my phone.

I agree that the phone is more like a iphone 4ss. Nothing groundbreaking. The samsung s3 is pretty cool too, but the thought that it came out several months ago and the cheap feeling plastic backing may prevent me from getting it. Plus everything is usually more apple friendly. I'm using an iphone 4 right now and am eligible for an upgrade, so most likely I will get it just simply because it has 4g and facetime, which I use everyday. I just wish the screen was also wider not just taller.

Camp Pendleton, I've been by there a lot, got MIL fam. Out of curiosity, what makes an electronic phone gay? Come on buddy, respect the forum rules. You're not 14, marines need to be 18. I love the case mod you did, so don't call me a hater. I'm stuck at Coronado base for the next several years. Although 'stuck' and 'San Diego' usually don't go hand in hand. :)

I like Apple hardware, Google software. I think both companies are evil.

Iphones are gay lol
android all the way

Camp Pendleton, I've been by there a lot, got MIL fam. Out of curiosity, what makes an electronic phone gay? Come on buddy, respect the forum rules. You're not 14, marines need to be 18. I love the case mod you did, so don't call me a hater. I'm stuck at Coronado base for the next several years. Although 'stuck' and 'San Diego' usually don't go hand in hand. :)

Marinetuck, this is nicely stated. ^^

However innocently it was used, we really don't want to make derogatory references in our open forums.

I'll leave this here accordingly to reinforce our rules and wishes to all.

Carry on guys.

RT

I agree that they are pretty much playing catch up and doing things that people expected a full year ago at the 4S launch.

Looked at the engadget article about the specs and that's the impression I got as well. Have an S3 now, and there really isn't anything that made me say, "I've made a mistake." To me at least it went from "Iphone, the holy grail" to "that smartphone running iOS"

Do you expect threads about every Android device? If so, I can promise you they are just as rare.

Otherwise, the rest of the internet is full of discussion on the iPhone 5.

yea i seen the realese on the news this morning, had no idea was just sitting there drinking my coffee waiting to take my daughter to school lol and bam iphone 5... its pretty sexy. now its between the samsung galaxy tab phone thing and the iphone 5, hmmm. lol

I've had a S2 Skyrocket for about 9 moning the one feature I ever really feel like upgrading for are the enhanced camera features such as the ability to rapidly take multiple pictures .

Phone looks like a great upgrade, The Camera, the speakers, the mic's, LTE, screen size, CPU and GPU upgrades. Looks like another winner.

I want to check it out more then my kid who said she could wait till Xmas. She is a great kid! 4.6 GPA . So Dad spoils her... :)She and her friends are all on iphones and as long as she wants one I'll be glad to indulge.

It doesn't sway me enough to come off my GNexus. They lost me at 4" screen and I'm still loving my Gnex(even with its hardware limitations) Very much looking forward to the next Nexus.

I just love all tech especially phones, but admittedly do most of my phone posting either on Android Central or imore. The phone podcasts are also some of my favorites,

Verge Mobile
Engadget Mobile
imore
Android Central
All about Android
Cell Phone Junkie
Mobile Nations

the only thing that made me get rid of my iphone 4 and go with my htc inspire is the lack of flash support. and still the lack of it will stop be from getting this one.

the only thing that made me get rid of my iphone 4 and go with my htc inspire is the lack of flash support. and still the lack of it will stop be from getting this one.
Fortunately for all of us flash should be dead soon.I must be out of the loop but I have never needed it on a phone. I don't even want that crap on my PC .Battery drain must be epic.

The only time my fan spins up on the laptop is from flash.

i like to watch live streams and stuff on my phone alot, also embedded videos and stuff.
i was just like well android does all the same crap... but has flash lol so i got it only thing i dont like is the volume buttons dont work anymore lol

but dang that iphone 5 is sexy!

I'm surprised that they didn't just use a 720p screen on it, instead of a bizarre resolution just to keep the pixel density the same so that most content could be played at the native resolution.

Seems like a standard bump all around in specifications, nothing spectacular from the 4S but people with the original 4 may find it worthwhile to upgrade.

Wonder what will happen with the LTE technology, seeing as samsung own patents and I have seen that they were looking to sue if 4G was present. Especially as it isn't considered essential meaning they don't have to licence the technology AFAIK.

The main things that put me off the current high end android phones is that they are giant things and most of them have slightly shaky build quality. I want a unibody and a nice small screen so it fits in my pocket.

Personally I am torn between an iPhone 5 and one of the new Lumias.

Unfortunately the lack of Flash has crippled iPhone sales over the last several years......oh wait it hasn't. That talking point might as well be put to rest. It didn't save Blackberry from sinking, so I recommend Android lovers stick to other advantages that are more tangible.

I have iOS devices in the family and issued to staff at work and the issue rarely comes up. My previous Droid 3 phone rebooted itself more times than flash has been an issue for iOS. The main attraction for me to go from 4S to 5 is for the 4G, as Des Moines just got it not even a year ago. That and....I won't be paying for it. And I have enough rebates to use with Verizon to make buying one for the wife pretty inexpensive.

Last edited:
Don't really get all the hype with the iPhone in general. From what I've seen they are playing catch-up in the phone world these days. I'm due for an upgrade and don't really see any reason the I5 would be any more appealing than any of the new droids on the market. That being said though, I wouldn't be completly opposed to buying one because they still are good phones. I feel with the iPhone, and Apple in general, people are paying more for the brand though than they are the actual product. Just my opinion though.

Back