• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noctua NH-D14 orientation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

My build specs are in my sig. I'm wondering if anyone has used the smaller NF-P12 fan and mounted it on the back of heatsink so it pulls the air and expels it out the back of case? I have a mATX and I'm concerned about space.

I wrote Noctua to see what they said. Response below.

Here's what Noctua wrote

I hope this FAQ-entry here will help you:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=33&lng=en#12
Even though the photo shows a NF-F12-Pwm fan, the airflow direction is the same with all our fans.
There is nothing wrong with using the NH-D14 with just the center NF-P14 fan and reusing the NF-P12 fan for case ventilation, but it isn't recommended to fit the NF-P12 "pulling" on the other side of the heatsink, because the stock setup with the NF-P12 fan "pushing" will give better performance.

How can we help? Looks like you got your answer, no? Try it... report back.

Well they also said this in a different email I received today- are the small form factors challenging because of reduced air flow inside the case?

"Our heatsinks offer better performance if you fit the fans pushing air into the heatsink for aerodynamic reasons. This applies to open-test bed setups and large enclosures, however your mileage may vary with small form-factor enclosures."

Limited air flow. Yes. Pushing is normally better. If you only pull, then your pulling air from the sides also on the HS, not all from the fins and pipes on the other side. Your not cooling as much of the HS as needed.

Push is always better on an air heatsink. Push/pull isn't part of this dicussion right now.

Limited air flow. Yes. Pushing is normally better. If you only pull, then your pulling air from the sides also on the HS, not all from the fins and pipes on the other side. Your not cooling as much of the HS as needed.

Push is always better on an air heatsink. Push/pull isn't part of this dicussion right now.

Interesting and helpful..thanks!

The NF-P12 generally works better at a push fan than a pull fan. If you run in them in a push/pull setup its not as big of a deal but trying to run them solo on a d14 in a pull setup yeilds much higher temperatures in both banks of fins

The default setup that they recommend results in the lowest temps in the first bank of fins, and a slightly higher 1-2c differance usually in the second bank of fins.

Personally i Run Dual 120mm Deltas, One on the first bank in a push configureation, and a second on the second bank in a pull configuration. This tends to keep both banks closer in temp even at low fan speeds, Partialy due to the draw angles of these fans pulling mostly from the Edges of the fan and not so much in the center.

The NF-P12 generally works better at a push fan than a pull fan. If you run in them in a push/pull setup its not as big of a deal but trying to run them solo on a d14 in a pull setup yeilds much higher temperatures in both banks of fins

The default setup that they recommend results in the lowest temps in the first bank of fins, and a slightly higher 1-2c differance usually in the second bank of fins.

Personally i Run Dual 120mm Deltas, One on the first bank in a push configureation, and a second on the second bank in a pull configuration. This tends to keep both banks closer in temp even at low fan speeds, Partialy due to the draw angles of these fans pulling mostly from the Edges of the fan and not so much in the center.

You run two Deltas on the the Noctua I have?

Yes I am using a Nh-D14 with dual deltas. They are a bit of a squeeze to get on there with the stock mounting hardware but its doable without any modification.
Generally run them at 1-2% duty on the fan controller. They push more air than the stock fans do and have much greater air pressure, and generally not any louder at that speed. I run mabye 15-20% if I am running a large load on a hot day. Only time i really run at 98% or close to it is when I am benching, At that point the fans cause the fins on the heatsink to vibrate and whine aswell as are at about 60db by themselves.

Both Fans are DELTA GFR1212GHE's , 120mm 220cfm 2.7amp/27watt PWM fans.

DualDelta_Noctuai_nhd14.jpg

Yes I am using a Nh-D14 with dual deltas. They are a bit of a squeeze to get on there with the stock mounting hardware but its doable without any modification.
Generally run them at 1-2% duty on the fan controller. They push more air than the stock fans do and have much greater air pressure, and generally not any louder at that speed. I run mabye 15-20% if I am running a large load on a hot day. Only time i really run at 98% or close to it is when I am benching, At that point the fans cause the fins on the heatsink to vibrate and whine aswell as are at about 60db by themselves.

Both Fans are DELTA GFR1212GHE's , 120mm 220cfm 2.7amp/27watt PWM fans.

View attachment 115915

Thanks for the picture! After all my questions with my HSF, I ended up putting a tiny amount of MX-4 thermal paste in 3 of the tiny holes of a vid card slot..crap!

I not sure if mx4 is conductive or not but if you take some Isoprophyl alcohol and a paper towel you should be able to clean it up just fine.

Thanks! It isn't conductive, but I wanted to clean up it just the same.

I'm finding HSF cable fan management challenging. The HSF cables are quite long for my board, and the wires come out on the opposite side of the CPU 4pin fan connector.

I'm wondering if I can wrap the HSF cables in between both radiator grills where the pipes come out, but that doesn't sound too smart.

EDIT> I found a way to put them under the mobo that wasn't obvious.

Last edited:
HDD and fan clips touching?

Anyone chime in please.

I put the mobo w/HSF in. Originally I had removed the case's HDD cage for better airflow and SPACE w/my monster sized HSF. The SSD is mounted to the bottom of case in the 3.5" drive bay, and on top of it, within the same bay is my 1TB HDD. However, the back of the HDD rests against the HSF fan clip. I don't want that because I'm concerned about vibrations from the fan being transferred to the HDD.

I can't put the case's HDD back inside w/the 1TB mounted inside it because then the HSF fan won't fit.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yep, barely touching the clip? Bend it.

Get a bigger case? It's part of the game. Slot the holes for the HD screws on the case to give you that 1mm space?

Wire management is always time vs perfection. Cutting holes in the back of the mobo for the teeniest improvement, buying grommets vs just doing what you can.

I had the same issue for one last USB wire. I gave up. It's not a sponsored build log. Good 'nuff.

Build log forthcoming. This week.

Teaser. See the wire?

IMG_1014.jpg

Why I'm building a new PC for the TV.

IMG_1026.jpg

I can't get a bigger case. I bought the mATX form factor for size hahah. I'm not getting a bigger case. Thanks.

Okay. You bought a giant cooler for a MATX case. You'll get it to fit.

Modders do what needs done. Think how boring it would be if we all had to buy DELLS.

Ohh, that wire is piano or spring wire. You can buy many diff sizes at a hobby store, remote plane and hobby (you) users use it for all sorts of things. Check it out!

Okay. You bought a giant cooler for a MATX case. You'll get it to fit.

Modders do what needs done. Think how boring it would be if we all had to buy DELLS.

Ohh, that wire is piano or spring wire. You can buy many diff sizes at a hobby store, remote plane and hobby (you) users use it for all sorts of things. Check it out!

It will fit, of that I have no doubt :D
Just trying to figure the best way to make it fit w/the least amount of time and money haha. I'm going to bend the fan clip and see if that's enough.

Back