• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comparing 3 similar headsets.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimlet

Registered
Headset comparison. These 3 headsets seem very similar. But the price ranges are very different.

Razer Carcharias: $72
Rosewill RHM 556: $15
Plantronics Audio 355: $13

I really don't understand the technical specs of audio devices. I was wondering if anybody could explain how these headsets differ? And aesthetics aside, is the price hike of $60 really justified for the Razer one in terms of build quality/performance?

I know some Razer products with justified pricing. Unlike pretty much all Apple and Beats Audio products with ridiculously pointless over pricing.

Audio can't be explained in specs, it's a very subjective field. That being said, most "gaming" of marketed headsets are not great quality. I have the Caricharias and while they're very comfortable, the sound quality doesn't blow me away.

I can't comment on the rosewills but I owned the Plantronics one and hated them. Bad sound and they were painful to wear after about 20 mins.

The Razers are very comfortable. I have never had an issue with them, even after 5 hours they are still comfortable.

The only way I would say they are similar to each other is that they go on your head. :)

I've also owned the plantronics set and ouch. You get what you pay for, I suppose. The speakers do work and the mic is clear, but they are pretty uncomfortable and the sound quality is sub-par.
Felt like heaven when I put my Corsair Vengeance 1500 on for the first time though :D. Unfortunately, you gotta pay an extra 60 dollars. I'd say its worth it to not cheap out on your first headset. Read some reviews and you'll find several good headsets in between 50 and 100 dollars. Under that, it usually isn't worth buying if you're serious about comfortability and sound quality. Over that, it only gets better.

i have the Razer Carcharias and they are well built and sound quality is ok,far as the plantronic go i would keep away from them everything ive seen made from them has been junk. might want to consider some logitech G930's for about $30 more at bestbuy, they kill my razer's in overall sound quality and have incredible bass and are also 7.1 and duel connection wireless so you dont loose connection ever.

I guess people missed the he don't buy gaming headset part... :p. You'll get much better SQ with a pair of nice cans (Audio Technica makes some good stuff in that range) and a separate mic.

Headset comparison. These 3 headsets seem very similar. But the price ranges are very different.

Razer Carcharias: $72
Rosewill RHM 556: $15
Plantronics Audio 355: $13

I really don't understand the technical specs of audio devices. I was wondering if anybody could explain how these headsets differ? And aesthetics aside, is the price hike of $60 really justified for the Razer one in terms of build quality/performance?

I know some Razer products with justified pricing. Unlike pretty much all Apple and Beats Audio products with ridiculously pointless over pricing.

$13. Out the window.
$15. Thats two good Starbucks coffees. Great quality.:rofl:

$72, now your talking.

Yes, the audio quality and long term 'not drop it once it's broke' issues come into play here.

You get what you pay for. Ever hear of the Yugo car? Wiki it's great quality...........

I didn't know about the audio section. How do I transfer this thread over there?

Thanks for the advice everyone except Conundrum. And thanks for the warnings about Plantronics. I know about Audio-Technica having great headphones. I always recommend them, and tell people to avoid Beats headphones. But I don't think they do headsets. I'm not really trying to use a separate microphone. I'll look into the Logitech ones.

As for the Rosewill and Razer. My friend has that exact Rosewill one, and he says it works great in terms of sound and microphone quality. And there's a switch to turn the mic on/off. He's had it over a year without problems. Which makes me wonder what the Razer one offers for $60 more. I don't mind paying if it does indeed make a real difference. But if there isn't any real difference, then it just means it's over priced for the same quality as the $15 one.

Back