• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory bandwith and CPU OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Betao

Registered
Recently I´ve got an i7 3930K CPU and a 2133MHz memory sticks
at 11-11-11-30 timings. The processor can be easily OC at 4.5GHz
with standard memory settings @ 2133MHz. If I raise the band to 2400MHz
I have to lower the timings to 11-12-12-32. So which will be better,
a higher bandwith but higher timings or a standard bandwith with lower timings?
Thanks,

4.5 GHz will give a much larger improvent-that you'll notice-than 267Hz more memory speed. Unless you're benchmarking RAM. My $.02

You won't see any difference in memory performance. This platform will take any advantage from memory settings almost only in server environment. I mean databases, high multithreaded load etc.
Games and home software will use it at about dual channel performance level.
As Alaric said higher cpu clock will give you much more and personally I would set cpu to higher ratio and leave memory @2133 but try to use tighter timings like 10-11-10, 10-11-11, 9-11-10 up to 1.65V.
Btw higher cpu speed = higher memory bandwidth too. Compare results in some fast benching programs like Maxxmem or AIDA64.

Thanks, guys. I can OC to 4.5GHz with 2133MHz and 2400MHz just changing the timings as I´ve said, so what I was wondering if would be better to set memory at 2133MHz with lower timings or 2400MHz at higher timings. In Aida 64 this last config gives a better mem bandwith. Seems that X79 chipset doesn´t change much with mem tweaks, guess I´m from the FSB era.

Back