• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 560 install issues, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rendermonk

Registered
So I bought a SuperClocked EVGA GTX 560 2GB video card. After checking all my components before buying it, I was sure I wouldn't have a problem. But when I install the card and power on the computer, it makes NO beeps, but the screen never changes from black. I don't see the bios options, I don't see windows, all I hear is windows trying to start, but no beeps and a black screen from power on till power off.

Here are my comp specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3GHz
RAM: 8Gb G-Skill Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (4x2GB sticks) (PC2-6400)
MOBO:ASUS P5K-Premium (LGA775) Bios vs. 0504 date 12/10/2007
PSU: Corsair HX620w (has +12v1, +12v2, +12v3 each have 18amps under)

I have tried a few things. The card itself is pushed all the way in. I have it in the blue PCI-E x16 slot (closest to the CPU). I have tried removing it and reinstalling it 3 times. I did make sure that I didn't have any onboard video to disable. I did uninstall/remove drivers for my old video card which was a Quadro FX1700, I know, sad. That didn't work either.The video card says it needs 450w PSU with 24amps on the +12v rail. Do I simply need a better PS as each rail only has 18amps? Or do the 3 rails stack, and I have 54amps available?

If it's not the amps/PSU issue, does it matter how I have it connected to the power supply? I have the 2 6pin connectors attached to the GTX 560 card itself, then the remaining 4 4pin white ends don't fit into my power supply directly. But I noticed that the do fit into the end of the cords where my case fans are plugged in, which then lead back and are plugged into the power supply unit. So it's like a splitter almost. Does that make sense? And if so, does that work, or can I not do that? Should I go and find the Male connector for the Molex cable to plug into my PSU that will allow me to plug those female white end Molex cables directly to the PSU?

That's all I got. Looking for help on how to proceed. Thanks in advance guys!

Update:

So remember how I was trying to explain that the power connectors the GTX 560 requires, the white end didn't fit into my PSU directly.....So I tried to "jack" into the fan plugs that fit, which also ran to the PSU. Well I thought this might be causing the problem, so I tried a test. I unplugged all the Case fans and used those power connectors to hook up the video card. These connectors ran directly into the PSU, but this test meant I'd have NO running fans in my computer case, but that the Video card would have direct feed into the PSU, instead of all wonky like before. This time I got it to POST. I let it run to the windows login screen, then shut it down.

So I can verify the video card is working, and not defective. And that it simply needed the power connectors to feed directly into the PSU. Now that I know what I need to do, can anyone direct me to the connector adapters I'm in need of?

Hi mate you should have two 6/8-pin connectors on the psu they are for the graphics card. The 6 pin side plugs into the psu and the other end 6/8-pin plugs into gfx card.

yea you don't need to be using those 6pin to 4pin adapters that came with the card, you need to be plugging the 6pin cables directly from the psu. Your corsair hx620 has two of them. they look like this.

pcie6plus2.jpg

Thanks guys. See all I had was the 6pin 4pin cable that came with the card. But it wasn't fitting into the PSU. The 6pin end would fit in either the card or the PSU, but then that still left me with the 4pin that didn't fit anywhere. So where do I get the 6pin 2pin cable? What's it called when I go to the local comp store to pick two up. And to be clear, which component gets the 6 pin part and which gets the 2pin part? Sorry, I know this should be pretty basic, but my last video card was a quadro FX 1700. So this is my first real step up to a quality video card.

Edit: Wait, so this cable has both ends as the 6+2? Is that right?

Last edited:
One end has 6 pins and the other like the pic, which goes to the graphics card. it has the extra 2 pins for some cards that use 8 pins. You should have the cables that came with the power supply.

I got the power supply when i built the comp, 4-5 years ago....have no idea where any extra cables are. Are these cables I should be able to pick up at any local comp store? Or do I have to go through somewhere like NewEgg?

Last edited:
That was actually a very informative read goat. Now it's got me worried that my PSU isn't up to the task. It is several years old, and I know can loose wattage over time. Is there a program you can recommend that I can view how my PS usage?

I never got a direct answer to this question, but do those amps add up, or are the individual? It has 3 separate +12v rails each with 18amps on them and the card requires a minimum of 24amps. Should I be fine?

Yep, you'll be fine. That PSU is a high quality unit. You have lots of power to spare.

also here is a quote from the end of the johnny guru review of your psu:
Looking at the Seasonic main PCB inside the Corsair PSU reveals only two rails, labeled 12V1 and 12V2. There is no third rail. This is illustrated well at Hardware Secrets. Although I can not say that these rails are or are not somehow electronically separated in the PSU's circuitry somewhere, I did find that there was no OCP (over current protection or "limiter") on either of these rails as I was able to load any given connector up 30 to 40A with no drop in voltage, system shut down, etc.

So it is my opinion that we essentially have a single 12V rail PSU here. Certainly there is nothing wrong with this given the problems high end video cards have had with getting enough power from a single 12V rail when the OCP is set to the typical 240VA limit. But we do lose the advantages of multiple rails such as protection from damage to one rail from a short on another and the simple "filtration" of noise introduced from one rail to another.

Back