• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking all cores to Phenom ii x2 550 B/E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgamer626

Hello again i been interested in upgrading my hardware but i have seen in a couple of places that it is possible to unlock all the cores on my CPU so i was interested in doing it if anyone has any good ideas where i can find some helpful information.

Spec's:
Phenom ii x2 550
GA-MA790X-UD4P mobo
DDR2 1333 2X4
GTX 550 TI: GPU
VINDOWS 7: OS

The motherboard manual is a very good place to start. That board was during a time when AMD was supporting unlocking the hidden cores and the how-to with your mobo is likely covered in the bios.

By the time the last 790 boards were coming out and the 890 chipset was here, AMD had gone back to nOt supporting core unlocking and the motherboard companies were again on their own

If I can remember correctly, my old giga board you had to turn acc to auto and turn hybrid firmware on (this looked scary when it was changing, but it worked a treat) amd for some reason to unlock a sempy 140 there was no need for the hybrid firmware but cool&quiet needed to be disabled or it would not even boot when acc was on auto, but it unlocks it fine when CnQ was off :screwy:

The motherboard manual is a very good place to start. That board was during a time when AMD was supporting unlocking the hidden cores and the how-to with your mobo is likely covered in the bios.

By the time the last 790 boards were coming out and the 890 chipset was here, AMD had gone back to nOt supporting core unlocking and the motherboard companies were again on their own

RGone, not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that AMD chipset boards coming after the 790 series don't generally support overclocking core unlocking? Are you saying they have had to develop their own overclocking core unlocking technologies in bios without AMD's help and that it is not as reliable as it used to be? I have a 970 chipset board that has core unlocking.

Last edited:
unlocking the hidden cores
nOt supporting core unlocking

I don't see 'overclocking' in that post. I see UNLOCKING and the two are different as we both know. I actually had to reread what I wrote to make sure I did not have a brain faht and write overclocking when I definitely meant UNlocking. I did not mis-type.

RGone...ster. :chair:

Yep, sorry. I meant to say "unlocking". Hard day at work today and my brain is a little mushy.

Yeah Trents I think that's the case, the mobo manufacturers had to develop there own unlocking technologies as amd pulled out, obviously realised it was costing them money as the people wanting a x4 were going for the cheaper x2 and praying for a good unlock, the best unlocking board I have come across was the 890fx gd70 from msi, it unlocked every chip I had bar a sempy 145 where as the same chips on a giga and asus board would not work, maybe it's just msi has this unlocking game wrapped up :shrug: but I know on thing it worked a treat

Back