• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Borderlands 2 config file better graphics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

givmedew

Has anyone played with the configuration files yet?

I believe it is under engine/config and called basengine.ini

There are some settings that have notations. I modified some of those settings but did not play with any that did not have notations. Except I did enable AA but I am not sure if it took effect. The .ini looks like it is a generic Unreal Engine .ini because it has all the settings for iphone, ipad, etc as well. So some changes might not even take effect.

Has anyone played with this?

I am a little disappointed in the games graphic qualities. I almost want to buy a new monitor just for this game LOL.

I am running a 670 DCII with a i5 4.5GHz and I am pegged at 60FPS with an average of 50-60% utilization with all settings maxed out including physx.

In borderlands 1 there where a bunch of settings you could mess with in the .ini including shutting off the shader outlines, enabling high-quality bloom, enable fog volumes, and increasing the texture resolution.

If anyone has some experience with modifying unreal engine .ini please let me know I would love to get more out of this.

It's probably in the same spot as the files one would edit for Borderlands 1 as those in the game directory are the reference files. The files are located in your My Documents\my games\borderlands 2\willowgame\config which will start with Willow. Willowengine would be what you want to edit as it contains the graphics parameters, search for SystemSettings.

I ended up changing a few things and it def made a difference. I think what made the biggest difference is towards the end.

There is a place that talks about the amount of megabytes it uses in the memory for each kind of thing. I doubled all of them even more for some and it now uses over 900MB of memory at 1920x1200 it used to use 400-500mb.

The biggest difference is that at no time do I see something with a crapy texture fill in and look ok. The way the game is designed is that it streams all the textures and uses very little video memory which is kinda BS IMO. Anyways give it a try.

I just hope we can get some 3rd person view going again like in bl1.

I love the game but at times with the art and stuff like a lot of others report. Makes some people sick to play the game in first person. For me it just starts to bother my eyes after a bit werid lol but just seems easier on me.

There is an option in there to turn off the streaming.

OnlyStreamInTextures= switch that to false should stop the streaming.

Also:

MaxProcBuildingLODColorTextureSize=2048
MaxProcBuildingLODLightingTextureSize=2048

Increases the view distance that textures start rendering. They're set pretty low by default. Bumping them up to 2048 forces textures to load on the horizon if you're zoomed through a sniper scope.

As for the third person, I think the key bindings are broken in BL2. As in they can be edited in the input config file but those changes are superseded by the profile.bin in the saves folder I believe. That one I can't edit with notepad++ so maybe have to wait for an engine editor for that one.

There is an option in there to turn off the streaming.

OnlyStreamInTextures= switch that to false should stop the streaming.

Also:

MaxProcBuildingLODColorTextureSize=2048
MaxProcBuildingLODLightingTextureSize=2048

Increases the view distance that textures start rendering. They're set pretty low by default. Bumping them up to 2048 forces textures to load on the horizon if you're zoomed through a sniper scope.

As for the third person, I think the key bindings are broken in BL2. As in they can be edited in the input config file but those changes are superseded by the profile.bin in the saves folder I believe. That one I can't edit with notepad++ so maybe have to wait for an engine editor for that one.

Have you tried disabling the streaming? According to a tutorial for Unreal turning off streaming can cause problems. I was going to do that but didn't want to worry about it. I will check out those settings above. I changed quite a few settings according to a guide for the unreal engine. Some of the settings I wanted to change I left alone as in the guide it was explained that it could cause problems.

what guide? mind linking it i want to mess with my config so far my machine doesnt seem to break a sweat runnin this.

google unreal engine config I read several of them. None are for borderlands in specific but they are for games running on the unreal engine.

It is very disappointing that you can change these settings and get better graphics. The developer should have had settings in the game that could increase these values for us.

google unreal engine config I read several of them. None are for borderlands in specific but they are for games running on the unreal engine.

It is very disappointing that you can change these settings and get better graphics. The developer should have had settings in the game that could increase these values for us.

Many times settings are left out due to instability, bugginess, or incompatability with certain configurations.

Back