• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD PhenII 965, One Core is too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fridge Gnome

I just finished installing a watercooling system for my computer, and I've started looking at what I'll need to do to overclock my CPU and graphics cards.

What I'm not sure about, is according to HWmonitor I have something (labeled TMPIN2 under my motherboards tab) that is sitting around 53C after an hour and a half of Prime95.

HWmonitor also says under the cpu tab that all my cores are around 41C after the same amount of time on Prime.

Is TMPIN2 one of my cores? If not, what is it that's getting hotter than everything else.

I have a gigabyte ga-990fxa ud3.

Last edited:
Is TMPIN2 one of my cores? If not, what is it that's getting hotter than everything else.

NO it is NOT a core. Without a glance at a capture of HWMonitor to look at all the temps in context it is hard to say. MOST of the time it is a totally non-usable temperature.

If it makes you feel any better, my 970A-UD3 reads it at 53 degrees F. Which is about 20 degrees cooler than the room it is currently in. TMPIN2 is, in fact, a reading from inside a black hole where the laws of thermodynamics do not apply.

It depends a lot on the brand of motherboard in use as to what TMPIN2 is and on some boards that read that same temp but call it AUXTMP. On Gigabyte boards that pin on the I/O chip is often without any true output to be read and displayed so the viewable result becomes a big useless number without any meaning at all.

+1 rescuetoaster
+1 rgone
my boards don't even display those with the current version of hardware monitor

That's what I mostly found on Google, but the temp rises and falls with the rest of my computer. When I run prime or play a game it rises, and when I close the program it drops back down.

A random temp from nowhere wouldn't do that would it?

That's what I mostly found on Google, but the temp rises and falls with the rest of my computer. When I run prime or play a game it rises, and when I close the program it drops back down.

A random temp from nowhere wouldn't do that would it?

Been doing it with some boards with phenom 2 and later cpus for at least a couple of years now.

A quote, "TMPIN2 displays temps very high to every one. It's funny how these temps would create a fire or smoke in normal life. Maybe my Antec 900 case fans blow it out before I see it.", end quote.

That sensor on the GA-990FXA-UD3 is in fact the NB, you can clearly touch it and notice the temp is real.
Putting a fan on my side panel to cool it barely lowered 2-4C, what you can do is remove the HS and clean off the crappy TIM and apply a proper one and also, if you can replace the plastic springs with proper screws.
The best thing is to get a aftermarket HS for the NB.

Back